Ability to view assigned subtasks in Portfolio Workload

Thanks for the clarification. This example helps a lot.
Yes, I see the need for this to take place. I upvoted your feedback.

Until that happens, a workaround for me on this is to agree in the business the level of effort for tasks.
In project management, we tend to break down work into 4 hours slots. So if you take this and say each task will be worth 4 hours or even 8 hours - which means all subtasks should not overrun from that time. If this is a business wide agreement, then you can define that level of effort to that agreed number of hours and then it will give you a better reflection of the workload.

Remember that you can create a rule to ensure each new task added to a project to include be assigned an 8 hour or 4 hour time value in a custom field and that will automatically show in your portfolio.

I hope this helps a bit.

Yes, your suggestion is similar to what we are doing as a work around. Thanks again!

1 Like

My team utilizes the bandwidth feature in portfolios to help understand capacity and who to reach out to for assistance on projects. We are trying to restructure our project templates, and realized that subtasks to not “count” towards bandwidth. So the only way to collaborate on a single task is to have everyone with duplicate tasks. Will subtasks ever show up on portfolio bandwidth, please?

Hi,

This is a highly requested feature, I’ll let you look for the existing one and add your voice there :slight_smile: thanks

Thanks for your feedback, @Jennifer_Hovestadt! I just merged your thread with Ability to view assigned SUBTASKS in Portfolio>Workload to consolidate feedback.

I second this feature request! There are just some tasks that need to be subtasks to make sense and not having them as part of the overall workload summary makes it hard to track time.

2 Likes

Hi,

May I respectfully ask if there is an update on this feature? It seems like a very popular ask that many people here have been requesting for, us included. It seems that there may be a concern that enabling this feature will overpopulate the workflow tab, but would it be possible to make this optional and allow the user to enable/disable this feature themselves?

Thanks!

@anon9684441 there is no news on the topic. As partners, we also raised this issue on behalf of our clients. Making it optional is obviously a possibility, even if Asana very rarely creates options to customise, it is usually ON for everyone…

It just seems odd, there are valid use cases that be filled by this feature. I understand there is probably a “best” way to organize work artifacts/project boards/etc on Asana, but each group/company has a specific way of doing their work and tracking progress, so why not add flexibility here? Would allow for even more adoption and satisfaction with the product.

It is never that simple. If for any feature you add customisation options you end up with a product that behaves differently for everyone and every company, making it harder to code, maintain, evolve as well as creating a sense of complexity for the new users. You’ll probably see that Asana has barely any customisation available compared to other tools…

I am adding my vote to this as well - my team has projects and project templates that require task templates, with subtasks and estimated hours included (like each round of routing a project through multiple teams) so we can redo the process over and over until a document is approved… and none of that is traceable in workload without subtask visibility. I am trying to sell Asana to the rest of my company so we are all on one platform but this is a huge hindrance for staffing and tracking.

Please add this feature. It would be very helpful for subtasks to be included in the Workload view!

I know you have addressed this multiple times, but I feel the need to call Asana out on the lie of this being so hard to solve.
If an external developer could create Asana Navigator and edit it over and over for all of your updates to do exactly what we are all asking for, why the heck can’t asana?
I understand the difficulty in auto assigning a project but why can’t you stop Asana from removing an already assigned project and assignee.

IF at least 2 other developers hadn’t already solved this issue for free with Chrome extensions, I would take less issue, but paying $25 a user a month, I would expect that Asana would do what THOUSANDS of comments have asked for. At this point Teamwork and several other products have fixed these issues and it is pretty ridiculous that we haven’t its getting harder and harder to convince leadership to pay for Flowsana, bridge24 and all the other products needed to fix the Asana gaps. When our busy season is up in March I will have to fight to keep Asana at this point :frowning:

Steps to reproduce:

1. Add a task named Task 1 as a task in Project A.
  2. Add a task named Task 2 as a task in Project B.
  3. In the detail pane for Task 1, select *Convert to Subtask Select Task 2 from the dropdown list.

Brooker’s desired behavior:
That Task 1 becomes a subtask of Task 2, but it also retains its association with Project A.

(Allow to automatically add subtasks to project - #42 by Phil_Seeman)

Are you really comparing a simple app used by a handful of people with an app in 12 languages, several devices and operating systems, and used by millions who rely on it every day? :sweat_smile:

That being said, you are correct to share about your needs, if more people do it, the topics will be rediscussed over and over again by Asana (if not already being worked on).

2 Likes

Ohh I am glad you answered first, I am about to go on iDO to schedule my initial appointment.

That being said, I am comparing the ingenuity of a developer that met the needs of lots of people to do something that literally thousands of comments have been asking Asana for since 2017.

I think it is more than fair to think that the company would have come up with a way to keep project attached to a task that is converted to a subtask sometime in the last 5 years? If the conversation had started this year…I would 100% agree with you, but I didn’t even join until 2019 and people were already frustrated that they were promising to look at it back then with no action.

While I am completely willing to connect my license through a partner to get access to additional training, education and tools, I do expect the company I am investing in to actually listen to its users and not just the big corporates who can pay for zaps etc, but us small guys that depend on it for our whole world .

1 Like

As a reminder I don’t work for Asana and this is my own personal view.

Thousands of comments isn’t enough to influence the roadmap, which is being influenced by many other variables (vision, cost, ressources, complexity…).

Just to be clear: I would love to have subtasks count in Workload, it would make my life as a consultant waaaay easier.

In my job working with hundreds of companies, I also see people that do not want this very specific behaviour regarding subtasks in workload. Pleasing everyone would effectively mean allowing each customer to choose, and then you need new settings, which would make the tool harder to use, the onboarding more complex etc

I am happy I am not the one deciding what should be on the roadmap :sweat_smile: what you might not realise is that behind my public message, I am working with my team to try and convince Asana to do something about the situation because we want what’s best for our clients :slight_smile:

I have no idea what this means :rofl:

@Bastien_Siebman - Being condescending toward a company is one thing, but I’m sure we’d all appreciate it if you didn’t direct it toward other members of the community.

While her comparison of Asana Navigator and Asana isn’t the fairest—neither was your retort.

Are you really comparing a simple app used by a handful of people with an app in 12 languages, several devices and operating systems, and used by millions who rely on it every day? :sweat_smile:

• Asana Resources: 1,666 employees
  • Asana Navigator Resources: Less than 1,666 employees

Hi folks, I just wanted to jump in here to clarify that although this feature request hasn’t been prioritised just yet, this doesn’t mean that our Product team are not aware of the request or looking into it for the future.

We do have some improvements for subtasks in the works which I can share with you once I have more details. We appreciate the thoughtful feedback you continue to give :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Definitely agree with this. My team supports 22 different languages for the majority of the work we do and each language is a subtask that is assigned to the various members of the team. But when looking at workload, I can’t get an accurate view of the workload of the team since sub tasks don’t show.

The current recommendation to make all sub tasks as regular tasks in the project is just not feasible. That would mean for one task, my team would have a minimum of 22 different tasks in our teams sprint project that we use to track our priorities and current work. And since we always have multiple tasks in progress it would make the project a complete mess and really difficult to track the status of the various tasks that the team is working on.

I hope that the feedback to allow subtasks to show in the workload is looked into by the product team soon as this would make it a lot easier to track how busy people are when you have a task that has multiple team members working together to get it done.

1 Like

@Paige_Porter in your case a “simple” workaround is to multi-home the subtasks into the main project, in a dedicated section at the top. We do this and it works fine. We did automate, and you can reach out to me to discuss how I can give you access to this code.