🔑 3 Key Reminders when using the CSV Importer

There are several avenues to take when looking to enter data into Asana in a structured, consistent manner. Two great features to accomplish this are 1) Custom Templates and 2) Forms. Another great way to achieve the same would be to use the CSV Importer. [ my personal favorite! :wink: ]

When using the CSV Importer here are 3 key things to keep in mind to ensure a successful import of your data.

1. Because subtasks require that you list a parent task in the “subtask of” column, you’ll need to keep the “section/column” column empty. If you list a section/column for a task that is intended to be a subtask, the “section/column” designation will take precedence and the task will be imported as a parent task.
  2. Parent tasks have to be listed ABOVE subtasks. Just as the “blocked by” dependencies have to be listed ABOVE “blocking” tasks. This is outlined in the Asana Guide HERE and HERE,
  3. You can list multiple dependencies in the “Dependents” column by separating the names of the tasks that are “blocked by” with a comma - as seen in the sample below:

@Emily_Roman or @Marie if you find any of these tips might be suitable for the Asana Guide, pass on what you feel is useful!

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

May I recommend a 4th one I just discovered?
:four: Only have one header row

My client had two rows for the header, one with the column names and one with instructions. That messes up the import because Asana can’t be configured to ignore it.

2 Likes

Hello, I am trying to import data into Asana through a CSV file. My tasks have recurring yearly dates. It it possible to include this in the CSV file?

The CSV import can’t import recurring dates at the moment I believe.

1 Like