Workspaces vs. Teams for organizing multiple clients

Hi,

I just started using Asana a few days ago and figuring stuff out. One thing I need as a small marketing agency is to set up Asana to handle 5-6 clients, each with their own projects of course. Then invite the clients to their team (or workspace) and assign my agency team to the projects.

I started setting up workspaces, one for each client and granting the clients access to the entire workspace. But, then realize it may make more sense to use Teams for this because if I ever needed to move a project, I can between teams but not between workspaces.

That said, if teams are better for this, when would I use a workspace?

Thanks!
Joe

Latest post from @Sebastian_Paasch can help How to use Asana and Slack as a consultant/ professional service employee

Thanks Bastien but I don’t see where in that article it discusses my question. I’m just trying to figure out if for each client it’s better to have a workspace or create a team. While there are some suggestions out there that say creating a new team for each client works, no one discusses where to use workspaces. Any further clarification or help is appreciated.

1 Like

I am sure @Sebastian_Paasch can share is insights directly here :wink:

Ok thanks.

@Joseph_Ferrazano
Hi,
Cou might consider the following aspects when thinking about your question:

• How many people are involved in this client?
  • How many different projects per client do we have?
  • How confident are my people with private projects and permissions to ensure that consultants and client members only see what they should?
  • Do I want to have all my tasks in a single my task view?

In general, I recommend starting with a private project per client, once it becomes bigger you can easily switch to a team. You should use hidden teams, so that it becomes much easier with permissions.
Only invite the employees who need to work on this client into the teams.

To have a separate workplace has much more disadvantages than it brings benefits so I would not recommend it. But if you still want, you can migrate your team into a new workspace with this free tool:
https://asana.kothar.net

You find more tips how to use Asana as a consultant here:

Have a wonderful day
Sebastian

2 Likes

It’s worth noting that even though each client would be have their own “Team”, you can still @mention *any users across all teams (i.e. mentions do not scope users to those with access to the current team).

1 Like