Undo converting task to project

I accidentally converted a task to a project - can I undo this? Thanks!

@Kait_Hoehne,

Yep, there is. I answered it in another post:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

But it converts it back to a task as it was before converted to a project. How do you convert a project to a task and keep all the modifications you made (i.e. additional tasks become subtasks, etc.)?

@Mark_Rosing currently you aren’t able to “convert” a project to a task. It only works the other way around. The only exception being that you can re-open previously converted task, but as you pointed out… this is simply an old representation of a task.

@Bastien_Siebman, @Phil_Seeman or @lpb - do either of you have any workarounds or fancy tools that would allow users to convert projects to tasks?

I don’t know any way, sorry.

Nor do I…

@Kait_Hoehne and @Mark_Rosing,

I’m unaware of any automated way to do this but if your project isn’t huge, it wouldn’t take long to reverse the steps described at Task actions: create, move, duplicate, and more | Product guide • Asana Product Guide. Do the following in the project (warning: I didn’t test all of this after I wrote it!):

1. If you still have the original task, mark it incomplete, make sure it is added (membership) of this project (to preserve original attachments and comment thread). If not, create a new task in this project (you’ll lose those comments; you’ll lose the original attachments unless you re-attach
  2. Copy project name and paste as task title
  3. Copy project description and paste as task description
  4. Note project owner and make that person Assignee of task
  5. Note project members and make them all task collaborators
    !l Set view to All tasks (not just Incomplete tasks) if you want to preserve completed tasks too
  6. One-by-one, in order, drag project tasks into subtsks of task you’re building
  7. If the project has section, click in the task pane and then for each section, type Tab+N. Copy/paste all those section names and drag and drop into order
  8. Add the task to the destination project you’d like
  9. Archive the current project you no longer need; delete it eventually if you’re sure you don’t need it.

It sounds like a lot but if only a few dozen tasks I think you could do this in five minutes.

Hope that helps,

Larry

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman, Hours have gone by and you still haven’t turned my specs:

into a functioning tool on your site yet??!!! :slight_smile:

Larry

Damn it I dropped the ball didn’t I?

1 Like

How could you?!!!

I’m embarrassed for him :laughing:

1 Like

I could not sleep so I built the feature.

No, kidding, I slept like a :baby::man_shrugging::hugs:

2 Likes

I am facing the same issue. I have converted a wrong task under one project to a separate project. I am unable to undo it. Also, in the new project description, I do have the link to it’s previous parent task - but there is no button or option to convert it as a task again. Any help would be appreciated!