Task Template - automatic collaborator inconvenience

I’ve seen a few topics about this but none yet that seem to encompass my issue.

Case 1:
Since Task Templates can’t be duplicated easily within the Customize pane, I need “add new”, modify the various tasks, covert back to a template, remove myself from every single task & subtask.

Case 2:
Sometimes I want to create a task using a task template for someone else, but I don’t want to be added to every single task & subtask. I’m just doing them a favor.

Has anyone figured out a workaround for the above?

I feel like for Case 1…I could create the task using the template, then duplicate that task and uncheck Collaborators, then modify, then convert back to a template…

1 Like

Hi,

Your task template include yourself as collaborator everywhere? Is this needed or can you just remove yourself?

1 Like

It does not include myself as a collaborator on the template itself. But when you use a task template you automatically become a collaborator on every task created.

I never realized, thanks! I don’t have a solution for you sorry :frowning:

Duplicating task templates in the Customize pane AND being able to use task templates in the rules pane would be AMAZING. It might be my biggest headache right now.

2 Likes

@Jessica_Birenz

When you say when YOU create a task from a template you are automatically added as a collaborator, meaning if I had originally created the template but you used it you’re automatically added as a collaborator, or you mean YOU as in the person who created the task template is always added as a collaborator?

Yes - if anyone use the task template (like navigate to add new/select the template/task gets created) then that person is automatically added as a collaborator to every single task that gets created from that action.

@Jessica_Birenz

I believe that is because in Asana if you are the task creator you are automatically added as a collaborator. The task creator would need to remove themselves as a collaborator when they create the task, just like if they created a task from scratch, if they do not want to receive updates about the task.

2 Likes

@Christine_Bolton that’s probably the reason but project templates don’t work this way.

Yes, this is exactly what happens but it’s really tedious. I have task templates with lots of subtasks.

I guess I am hoping there was an option to remove yourself as collaborator before the task is made — like when you duplicate a task you have the option to leave out the collaborators. Then you are only a collaborator on the parent task and not allllll the subtasks

1 Like

@Jessica_Birenz

I totally understand the want/need for that feature. I create a lot of stuff I don’t want notifications on, too, and sometimes forget to remove myself.

In case this isn’t something that has been thought of, the fastest way to remove yourself as a collaborator in that many subtasks is by expanding the parent task and using bulk-edit to remove yourself as a collaborator (the bar that pops up at the bottom will allow you to do this). It’s an extra step but it only takes a few seconds.

5 Likes

I have run into this as well! I am almost always creating tasks for other people- I started added the templates to other teams projects instead so it was easier for them to add them without me.

• super easy- just create a task using your template, add it to the other teams project that would be using it and then convert the task to a template in their project- a quick video or email telling that team how to use it helps too!
2 Likes

thanks for sharing this!

OH MY WORD YOU BEAUTIFUL UNICORN. This just saved me so much time – can’t believe I didn’t think of it! THANK YOU!!!

HAHA :unicorn: - My pleasure! :slight_smile:

1 Like