Task from Subtask Custom Field Equations - Same as "Column functions"

It would be very beneficial to have a custom field be an equation of it’s related subtask fields. This would function just as “Column functions” do.

For Example: If my custom field is “Time” and I have 4 subtasks with 1 hour each assigned to that field, the master task would automatically update with a “SUM” of 4 hours. (Average, Minimum, Maximum, and Count functions ideally available as well.)

The reason this is a problem is that the Column Functions in list view factor in the fields of both the master task and subtasks in the equation which isn’t useful because they pertain to the same information and skew the equation.

For Example: If the master tasks “Time” field is 8 and each of the four subtasks is 2 than the Column function shows the SUM as 16, when it should ideally still be 8.

1 Like

Hello,

Is there a way for the parent task to display the sum of its subtasks?

As you can see Image 1, if I were to hide all the subtasks, it looks like the parent task has no value.
Image 1.

I would like the parent task to automatically display the sum of its subtasks (see image 2).
Image 2.

Note: If I were to manually input the total value of the subtasks into the parent task (without removing the values in the subtasks), the final sum at the bottom of the section would add the value of the parent task and its subtasks, which is not the correct representation (see image 3).
Image 3.

Please advise. Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Hi @CSq, thanks for reaching out! As it stands, it’s currently not possible to see the sum of a number custom field in subtasks automatically populated in its parent task. We already have a thread for this request so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to centralize feedback. We’ll make sure to update the main thread as soon as we have any news!

1 Like

Thank you @Emily_Roman! Sorry, I didn’t see this thread.

Hello everyone,

I was looking for this feature too.

It would be very userful for our team too in order to quickly have the estimated hour cost for every task without unroll the subtask list.

Do you have any news for this feature ?

Thank you

2 Likes

I would love this, I only just realised after our team completed all of their estimations using a custom field for ‘story points’ that subtasks do not get counted on any dashboard metrics. The only workaround is to basically convert all subtasks to main tasks so that our metrics are correct, otherwise I have to create a spreadsheet to see the actual data.

Would love to know where this might be sitting on a roadmap? If not, it would be good to have some kind of message so people know this before creating a lot of subtasks. :slight_smile:

I also think this functionality would be very helpful. We point subtasks for our engineers based on difficulty/time to complete, but if the parent task is not expanded, then it looks like no points have been added to that task. Similarly, if I manually add the total number of points to the parent task, the SUM function below the section also counts the parent task points. Thanks!

2 Likes

This would be very useful for financial reporting. Is there any update?

1 Like

Where we at on this?

It’s been two years since someone first brought this up.
Can we have some updates? Will you, Asana, consider adding this function?

1 Like

Hello @Enzo_Luo

Asana has always been and is constantly listening to their customers and implementing features. Just have a look at all the features they launched last year.

However Asana does not share a public roadmap so cannot really say where this stands atm.

So there’s just no way to group tasks under a parent task and have it’s estimate (or any other numerical column) properly displayed in the UI or summed up?

We either have to make every single task a root level task or not get the ability to estimate?

This is table stakes here - I should be able to look at a parent task and see how much TOTAL points it’s going to cost. Please Asana update this - it’s really painful to treat small tasks as parent level on our project just so we can have the ability estimate work.

My team is new to Asana and loving the features, overall. We did, however, run into this same issue within the first week. It would be great to be able to roll cost, points, etc. from subtasks into the parent.

@Andrea_Mayer We understand Asana has been rolling out new features - that doesn’t change the fact that this seems like an essential need that has been echoed by multiple users on this thread, myself included.

As the community, we would appreciate it if there is some indication of where this feature lands in your list of priorities, or for you to share why this feature hasn’t made it into the roadmap so far.

Instead of:

1. Defending yourself with a somewhat passive-aggressive statement :slight_smile:
  2. Telling us you have no insights to share after 2 years

Hey @Hayden_Chua welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

I completely understand this, there are many more feedback request threads and Asana is not only looking at the total votes of each but also the total views.
And if you check the launched features you will see that Asana constantly releases new ones that include top ones from the forum such as Embedding Asana forms, Custom Fields in My Tasks - #456 by Marie and many more

To clarify:

Asana does not have a public roadmap, here is an overview Bastien has put together on how that compares to competitors: 🗺 Public roadmap: how does Asana compare with its competitors?

If an add-on is an option, I suggest taking a look at the Analytics & Reports by Screenful that allows tracking progress of subtasks in addition to the top level tasks. Here’s an example of a table chart displaying rolled up values from subtasks:

Each row in the table is a top level item, and the columns are displaying rolled up metrics from the subitems. The progress bar can be used to show the completion percentage of the subitems. The columns are configurable so you can roll up any of the available metrics from subitems.

Learn more about rolling up values from subitems, or give it a try with your own data by signing up for a free trial.