Suggestion: "Anchor" tasks for project templates

One feature I think would be very helpful for those of us that repeat similar projects regularly, is the idea of setting up an entire project template, and then setting one task as the sort of “Master Anchor” task.

To explain this concept: when I copy a large project i’ve built, I would like the dates to move forward if I change the “Anchor” date to modify all other task dates at the same time, relatively.

This would save having to reference back and forward between an old project and the newly built one to manually set hundreds of dates every time we set up a project from a template, and enable a good baseline for using timeline immediately. Then all we need to do is adjust as required :slight_smile:

Hi Matt,

This would be a really cool feature, but for now this post and integration might interest you…New workflow automation solution is available.

@Phil_Seeman might be able to describe it better and how it might work for you.

Katie

1 Like

Thanks, @Katie_Reynolds!

Yes, @Matt_Macdonald, Flowsana will do exactly what you’re wanting. You just build a template and make all of the tasks that you want to automatically adjust be dependent tasks of the top anchor task. Then each time you create a new project from that template, you put that project under Flowsana control. From that point, any time you change the dates of the anchor task, all of the dependent tasks’ dates will adjust by the same amount of change.

You have two types of workflow to choose from to accomplish this: if you want to set calendar dates for all of the project tasks, you’d use an Auto-Adjust Workflow. If you want to omit calendar dates and instead set durations for how long each task will take, you’d use a Dynamic Duration-Based Workflow.

2 Likes

This would be a great feature!
Hi @Phil_Seeman would each paid Asana member need a flowsana license or just one person creating the template?

Hi @Khalid_Sharif,

Flowsana is a subscription service so there aren’t licenses per se. Flowsana pricing is based on the number of Asana users, for 3 reasons: because I think the cleanest approach is to follow the Asana model; because all users can potentially be benefiting from Flowsana’s automations; and because like Asana, I think it’s fair to have larger organizations pay more and smaller ones pay less. Important to note is that only users in organization(s) or workspace(s) where Flowsana workflows exist are counted, and just like Asana, there is no charge for guests.

Thanks Phil. Understand but annoyingly rules us out from using it :disappointed:

@Khalid_Sharif, can you send me a private message with more details about your situation - I’d like to learn more and see what might be done? Thanks!

1 Like