Started receiving 404 on https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/users/:userID

Today around 11:30 PST we started receiving 404 messages with a message “user: Not a recognized ID” when querying for certain users. For other users it succeeds.
We were querying for these users on regular intervals before and didn’t have errors.

Just wanted to confirm if this is an intentional change on your end.

For more context - the request was made by using a valid OAuth 2.0 bearer token.

1 Like

I confirm, I also beginning to get “404” for users who are not returned by the endpoint /users".

I need to query specific users when I loop my task history (stories), and I find 1 story to 1 user that is not on the list received with the “/users”.
GET /users/?workspace=xxx

It always worked, but since a few days I get 404 for these users.

But, if I query stories and I add opt_fields values for created_by, I see the in formation I need.
GET /tasks/xxx/stories?opt_fields=created_by.gid,created_by.email,created_by.name

Only their email is now null to not allow me to contact them I think it’s ok.

But, I don’t want to add these opt_fields when I query actions, I only need the creator “gid”, and then for unknown, I will query for these users 1 by one, only once, that allows to do smaller and faster api queries.

I think asana should remove that new validation and let us query for these old users that are listed in “stories” or anywhere else in the data.

Agreed, guys, I also started seeing these 404’s a few days ago when querying users.

We are assuming these are users who are no longer active/valid, right?

@Joe_Trollo, @Ross_Grambo, can you comment on the background / details of this apparent API change (or perhaps a data model change that happens to have API ramifications)? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi all, thank you for reporting this issue. I just updated some of our configuration that is one of the potential sources of the issue. Are you able to confirm for me whether you are still receiving 404s?

Thanks @Joe_Trollo . Indeed I am still seeing 404. We have a unit test and workaround for our project and will notice if we start receiving a user info in that case. If that happens I’ll let you know.

Thank you for confirming. In the meantime I have found a second suspect and am attempting to reproduce the issue with it.

Hi all, I’ve been able to reproduce the bug, revert the bad code, and deploy the fix to production. Please let us know if you continue to experience this error.

2 Likes

Thank you, bug is fixed here in our app!