Sponsor Fulfillment - Project + Tasks or Tasks + Subtasks?

I’m in the process of getting our team set up in Asana, we manage a large annual festival, and a big part of what we need to stay on top of is our sponsorship fulfillments. We have roughly 40 sponsors at varying levels, and each has anywhere from 10-20 things to track (ie, signing agreements, sending invoices, getting an ad, sending thank you cards, etc).

What I’m trying to figure out is what the best way for us to structure all of this would be, in a way that’s not a major time burden, but also doesn’t make our list totally explode. I’ve looked at a few ways of structuring it and I’ve come up with these different arrangements. (For reference, we are using the Premium plan as an organization with separate teams).

Scenario 1: Projects + Tasks
Under the Sponsor Fulfillment team, create a new project for each sponsor (likely from a template), with a pre-built task list of all the applicable tasks that would need to be fulfilled on.

Scenario 2: Tasks + Subtasks, Boards
In a Sponsor Fulfillment project (in board layout), create a new task for each sponsor, with fulfillment items as sub-tasks.

Scenario 3: Sections + Tasks, List View
In a Sponsor Fulfillment project (in list layout), create a section for each sponsor, with fulfillment items as tasks under that.

Of course, there’s other permutations of those options as well, but that’s roughly where I’ve ended up. I’m trying to balance visibility of tasks to be completed (ie, not having to go into a sponsor task to see the subtasks) while keeping it from being overwhelming (a list of hundreds of tasks, or 40 projects in a team).

Does anyone have experience with something like this, or a recommendation on what a good solution might be?

@Graham_Kingsley
I would suggest Option 1 as a starting point as it gives you the most flexibility to adapt and refine as you go
I would also look at using Milestone Tasks, Timeline and Custom Fields to ensure that you have any dependencies between the Sponsor Fufliment and the main event project covered and visualised.

Jason.

1 Like

Hi @Graham_Kingsley and welcome to the Forum!

I agree with @Jason_Woods; if you have up to 20 tasks for each sponsor, it makes sense to create a project for each of them; if you need some overall visibility, you can always multi-home all your tasks into a master project.

Just like Jason did, I would recommend you to use our new Milestone feature to track key achievement along the way, and the Timeline to visualize your projects from start to the end, and identify potential blockers.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with @Jason_Woods and @Marie but don’t forget Sections in your setup. So I would go Project-Sections-Tasks to help workflow become more visible. And of course Milestones if they add enough to a 20 task volume of tasks. You have several options for replication, ie Copy Project and rename, Asana’s powerful Template feature or Sendana Add. Also if there is any additional organization needed Teams and custom fields stand available as both have mentioned.

2 Likes

I think your ideal workflow is going to determine the setup you use in Asana.

If the process you follow is to move sponsors from interest to completed event during which period you may ask them to take out ads, send you content/creative, etc - I’d setup a Team for the event, then I’d probably setup each sponsor as a project based on a template for each project/sponsor that included the tasks your team goes through or that the sponsor goes through from start to finish.
That might include sections for tasks that include major milestones. If not, you can probably handle that with tasks and subtasks.

That will give you room to make notes and comments on each task or subtask, and attach creative to those tasks as needed. Depending on version you have, you can also use Portfolios to roll up a view of everyone who has taken an ad, as you might need to have separate and more frequent contact with them.

You can pepper that with custom fields to track the sponsor levels or other key variables like spend amounts, which might require notifications or some delicacy based on their level of sponsorship.

I’d also setup a search that would restrict to more>>in teams and then select this team, and then add a filter by custom field or tag based on whether someone is stuck in the process and might need more follow up. That can be saved and pulled up daily for review and action.

Good luck.

3 Likes

We’re in the midst of revamping our sponsorship project and I came across your post. Like you, I think we are going to land on a template and project for each sponsor along with a master project with all deliverables attached. I may house all in a portfolio. I’m curious if you completed yours and had any tips.

My only addition to the conversation is a form I created last year to collect key info and logos from our sponsors. The sponsors really liked it and it went a long way to helping us keep track of information. Sponsor Form

Elisabeth

2 Likes