Set Limited Access Members or Member using REST APIs

Is it possible to set “Limited Access Members” or “Member” via REST APIs?
I used " Add a user to a workspace or organization" and specify the email with the same domain as org as user to add. Then the user was registered as “Limited Access Members”.

https://developers.asana.com/docs/add-a-user-to-a-workspace-or-organization

Hi @Tomoyo_Fujita,

Two points:

First, if you’re seeing “Limited Access Member” then that means you’re operating in a workspace as opposed to an organization. In a workspace there’s no concept of any specific email domain, so your part about “specify the email with the same domain as org” is actually not relevant in this case.

Second, I think the addUser API endpoint always adds the person as a Limited Access Member (in a workspace) or as a Guest (in an organization). I don’t know of and have never seen a way to convert someone from a Limited Access Member/Guest to a full member via the API. You can do that in the Admin Console in the Asana web app.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your quick reply. You are right. it was like below and understood there is no API.

Inviting user with the same domain to ORG > The user became “Member”
Inviting user with different domain to ORG > The user became “Guest”
Inviting user with the same domain to Workspace > The user became “Limited Access Members”
Inviting user with different domain to Workspace > The user became “Limited Access Members”

1 Like

FYI, all of your above use cases are I believe for the case where the email address you’re using already has an Asana account, just not in the org or workspace you’re adding them to.

In the case where the invitee’s email address does not exist anywhere in the Asana user database at all, then I recollect that addUser will send them an email invitation inviting them to create an Asana account (and then if they create one, it will join them as above).

Yes. noted that also. Thanks

1 Like