Search and replace text

A very appealing part of Asana’s design is its similarity to simple text editors. It would be nice if there were a search-and-replace feature.

The way we start new projects at our company (context: we manufacture computer peripherals) is by copying a template project.

Um… We’re based in Taiwan; please ignore the Chinese text. The first thing that happens with this newly copied project is TEMPMODELNUM is replaced by whatever the new project’s model number is. We need to do this because most projects have the same structure, and without the model number in each task, Asana’s powerful search would be a bit pointless in this scenario. It’s not a big deal to just double-click and Command+V 50+ times each time a new project kicks off, but it is somewhat unpleasant.

It would be great if I could:

1. Search and replace all task/subtask titles within a project
  2. Search and replace all task/subtask descriptions within a project
  3. Search and replace custom fields of all tasks/subtasks within a project (including dropdown items, but obviously only with other menu items)

I realize this probably isn’t a big priority for most people, but it would be nice to see this on Asana’s roadmap, if only so at some distant point down the road a lonely, heartbroken engineer can pick it up as a pain coping mechanism.

Great suggestion @gtang. We’ll capture this and pass it along to the team.

What mechanism do you use for this today? Do you search and then manually fill in the model number for each task?

Hi Katie! Yes, I currently do it manually.
Hopefully the upcoming “pre-made templates” feature can allow some basic variables or something.

Ah, I just realized I probably posted this in the wrong place…
“Community Suggestions” = Suggestion for this community forum ≄ Suggestions from this community re: Asana.

Is that correct?

Hey gtang… and anyone out there that might benefit from looking this up like I just did. I know this is 2 years old but Asana allows you to easily import tasks. You could just export the tasks to excel or your favorite editor. Change all, then import back in. Little work around. I guess then you would wonder why you used templates in the first place. Hope this is a help for someone.