Rule keeps moving task back to initial section

That is one of the things I tried. I went through and unchecked every rule. Did not help. The rule is still preventing manual movement to other sections within the project.

We’re also having (related?) issues with rules using sections as a condition. Our rule is: When section is changed → check if section is X → add some subtasks. It seems to retrigger specifically when tasks multi-homed to other projects have their section changed in that other project (at least as far as I can tell).

We are having problems too. We have rules setup that create subtasks when tasks are moved to a specific section. As of yesterday the rules to create the subtasks are now repeating two or three times so instead of creating one subtask we are getting 3 of the same subtask. This is happening in multiple projects as one of our rules multihomes the task to another project which triggers a rule to create a subtask/assignment. Everything worked fine last week and no one made changes to any of the rules.

Same problem here. Our rule which is supposed to create a subtask is repeating twice. We didn’t have any issue until yesterday 10/15 and no change was done to the rule.

We also ran into this issue. I was able to resolve it by using the new Trigger Logic. Changed the trigger from when “Task is moved to a section” to “Task is moved to one of…” or “Task is moved to…” section.

However, as I write this, the ability to modify using that same trigger logic is now gone.

Below is a screenshot of what the new logic trigger looks like.

We have several rules that coordinate a field’s value and the column a task is in that are behaving erratically today as others have described in this thread. No modifications have been made to these rules in months.

Can confirm we are also facing this issue, have not made any recent changes to the rules.

We are also facing this issue. I contacted customer service and was told that the rules are working as expected, which cannot be the case. The project and the rules have been in place for well over 18 months and only started malfunctioning yesterday morning (October 15th). Whenever a task on project A is added to a different project (“project B”) or the section is changed on project B, the rules from project A trigger. We’ve spent hours today deleting duplicate subtasks and drowning in duplicate notifications.

We are also having this issue as of yesterday, 10/15.

Each time we update any custom fields, the task reruns the original “when task added to this section” rules, even though the task was already in the section.

Hi Team. Need your help on the rule.

I set up a rule to add a project called Issues and its Pending section if a task is added under the Issue section in your own project. Yesterday, we noticed that a task in the Issues project will keep coming back to the Pending Issue Section even if we move a task to another Section, such as Open Issue. We were able to move a task from one section to the other last week. Do you know why this is happening?

Through the SLACK channel, two more users said that they are experiencing the similar issues.

Hello! I have discovered a new problem for our Asana use. We use this in our mental health practice. We have one project that our clients “move” through section by section to track where they are in our process (i.e., insurance verification, ready for paperwork, ready to be scheduled, etc.). We have another project that tracks their payment as well. On the rules I have set up, I have “When task is moved to section and section is _____” add these subtasks. Now this is triggers the subtasks to be adding when the task is moved in the other project for payment tracking. Is there a way that these rules will not affect each other? I turned off this section thinking it would separate the rules. Does anyone have ideas for this one so that the subtasks are not being added multiple times? Thank you!

image

We are experiencing something similar as well, but I’m not sure if it’s related.
On Project 1 (“Task List”), we have a rule set up where “If task is moved to a section” - “Check if section is ABC” - “Remove the asignee and post to Slack.”

Tasks in the ABC section are multihomed into Project 2 (“Sales”) .

But weirdly, taking any action on the multihomed task in the Sales board (Project 2) causes the rule in the Task List board (Project 1) to run again. For instance, moving the task to a new section on the Sales board (which has NO rules set up) triggers the rule on the Task List board to remove the assignee and post again to Slack.

This is causing some difficulty with getting a bunch of spam notifications and I’m looking for a way around this.

Any progress on the topic? Most of our(and probably other) workflows is corrupt right now…

Thanks!

Just adding another “hey, my rules are acting weird” to the group. I have a rule that updates a custom date field when added to the project. Then another rule to move the task to a certain section based on the custom date field. It works, but then about 3 minutes later the task jumps back up to the top section in the project. It’s been happening for weeks now, but now I’m curious if it’s related to what everyone else is reporting. Very odd!

Also adding that our rules have been acting like this since 10/15. Every time I move a task from one section to another, it automatically moves it back to the first one (which therefore repeats all of the rules associated with the first section…).

Adding to this, I’ve already opened a ticket and have gotten no response, I would like some official word from Asana that this is an issue. I can’t point to a forum ticket with everyone’s (helpful) details.
What happened and what is the timeline for the resolution?

I’m having similar issues but haven’t pinned it down yet.

Would love to hear if there’s any update on this issue. My workflows are also disrupted and project management has become disorganized. I’m wondering if a simple, “run rule only once” type of function would be helpful, which could be applied to the first rule on the first project, so that the subsequent rules on the additional projects aren’t affected.

Hello! We came across this issue too, it is severely disrupting our work, because we have many rules that are based on logic “Do something after the task was moved to a specific section”.

It seems that if the task is added to two projects, then moving it between sections in one project unexpectedly triggers the section-based rules from another project. And it definitely wasn’t the case before the 15th of October: the rule should be triggered only if the section change happened within the project.

We did solve this by changing our automations as follows:
BEFORE:
When… "Task is moved to a section” -
Check if… "Section is ABC”

AFTER:
When… "Task is moved to section ABC” -
Check if… "Section is ABC”