Project name isn't shared when assigning project tasks for non team members

When I have a specific project and specific team members and would like to assign tasks from the project itself to other members not included on the project team, Asana let’s me assign the tasks but without showing the project name…what can I do?

Hi @Moran_Barak, thanks for posting. Access to a Project is contextual, and there may be different reasons why the user cannot see the Project name: is this user a Member or a Guest in your space? Is your Project Private or Public?

It sounds like this user doesn’t have permission to access the Project where the task is located. If the task is in a Private Project and the user is not a Project Member, they won’t be able to see the Project name. You can find more information about permissions here.

I hope this helps, but if you have any additional questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Vanessa, thanks for your reply.
Well, the user is a Member but not part of the team which the project is connected to…
This Member doesn’t have permission to access the project but I can assign him tasks anyway…so if he can see the task why not also the project name? it’s fine that the project itself is limited to team members.

Hi @Moran_Barak, thanks for writing back. This behaviour is expected. Because the Project is Private, only Project Members can see Project information. You can still assign tasks to users who are not Project Members, but they will only be able to see the tasks they’ve been assigned to.

The only ways to make the Project name visible to non Members is to either add the user to the Project itself or make the Project Public. Public Projects in “Request to join” or “Hidden” Teams can only be seen by Team and Project members. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

While this behaviour is expected, it would still be nice to be able to show just the project name. I work with contractors who I want to assign tasks to without them seeing my entire project’s tasks. I also don’t want to create a second project just for their tasks.

This is problematic because my contractor has no idea which project the task belongs to, but is especially problematic if I have a task with the same name across projects (like “SEO Report” etc.)

Ultimately, the project name is part of the task. Accessing it should not require special permissions beyond being assigned to the task. If I’m opting to share a task with someone who is not in the project, this ought to be permission enough for them to see the project name, and not have access to the full project.

This feels like it should be the default behaviour. It is not uncommon to find scenarios in life where something is identifiable but inaccessible: e.g. a locked office, my Facebook profile. You can still see the name, you just can’t get in.

I love using Asana, and I find this to be one of the only hinderances to my workflow.

7 Likes