New reminder integration: RemindoBot - now in beta!

Hi there!

I have terrible memory, and decided to build an integration to help me. It is very simple - type "remind " and some time, for example “remind in 2 hours” or “remind Friday 4pm”, and you’ll get an email exactly at that time.

It can read reminders from task descriptions and comments.

I’ve been using it myself for a little while now, and it’s really helped me focus on the right things, and remember the right tasks. :tada::tada::tada:

You might need reminders too, so I hope it can be helpful to everyone! The beta is open, so you’re a few seconds - about 3 clicks (#1 on the link, #2 on “connect”, and #3 allow the integration) away from trying it out if you’d like to!

If you have 3 minutes to spare, it would be amazing to get your thoughts and opinions in the 2 simple TypeForm surveys on the site - or here in the thread - too! :pray: :grinning:

Hope it can help you like it has helped me!

Here it is: RemindoBot.com

9 Likes

Congrats @anon7988159 and thanks for sharing with our community :clap:t3:

2 Likes

Great Idea! I just tried to sign 3 times, but got the error mentioned.

1 Like

Thank you @Paul_Grobler!

Ah that is frustrating, I do apologize. So far it seems like 50/50 successful signups and database connection issues that are giving me very little to go by. I’ll be able to take a look at this tomorrow.

The good news is that it looks like the authentication went through! If you give it a try to add a test reminder like .r 1 minute as a comment on a task in your My Tasks list (so a task assigned to you), it should work!

Update: I changed the pattern to be .r or .remind instead of just r . It is almost as quick to type (even on a mobile keyboard), and it has a lot less “false positives” for reminders :slight_smile:

Can’t seem to edit my post, or I’d update the pattern there too.

Ditto! Great idea. And I’m also getting the error. Tried 3 times.

@Paul_Grobler @Jeffrey_Korn - Thank you for being patient with me! I’ve added some timeout handling to the database code. I believe there may be an access issue when trying to subscribe to events in one of your workspaces, which is why I can’t reproduce on my end.

In any case, both of your accounts are registered. You don’t have to do anything else - adding reminders with .r should work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great. Will test this out

Just tried again. Receiving the following error:

An error occurred with this application.

This is an error with the application itself, not the platform.

502 : BAD_GATEWAYCode: NO_RESPONSE_FROM_FUNCTION ID: iad1::t77hc-1598665420042-254326a2c8cc

Hi everyone - thank you for reporting these errors! They helped me narrow down what was happening :dart:

I’ve fixed the issue and it will be deployed tomorrow :tada: (Asana maintenance going on right now)

I’ll post back here again when the fix is live. Thank you for being so patient while these hiccups are fixed.

Update:

The fix has been deployed, but there are still some background sync issues. Looks like it is working well for recent authentications, and I’ve had good results with re-authenticating my test accounts.

Happy to help if re-authenticating does not work for you!

Update:

Fixed an issue where halfway finished signups could delay or block other signups from being authenticated.

If you’ve had trouble authenticating or not had reminders being sent, please try authenticating again :slight_smile:

Amazing! I will try!! Thank you :heart:

1 Like

As a reminder (:joy:) for everyone trying this out - you have to specify the time, and not just a number. .r 10 will not work, for example.

It could be something that I could set up though :thinking: Maybe a configurable setting for what a .r 10 would mean in this case, 10 minutes or 10 hours or even 10 days?

@anon7988159 - Is there a list of accepted syntax?

Ah great question @Jeffrey_Korn. The code looks for the pattern .r and .remind (and .rs for SMS reminders but that’s not active yet :)), and then processes any text after that as a point in time.

I strip out extra text, handle time zones and offsets, the default time set when you sign up, and parse it with the chrono library. Here’s a list of examples from that library:

Today, Tomorrow, Yesterday, Last Friday, etc
    17 August 2013 - 19 August 2013
    This Friday from 13:00 - 16.00
    2 weeks from now
    Sat Aug 17 2013 18:40:39
    2014-11-30T08:15:30-05:30

Since I handle the time zone, I removed those details. Also, for sections of time (like the last example that is between 08:15:30 and 05:30), I only pick the first known time. So for example if there’s a reminder that says Friday to Saturday then I set the reminder for Friday.

I’ll make myself a reminder to add more of these details to the website itself too! :slight_smile:

@anon7988159, that’s awesome! Thanks.

I think we are approaching too many puns in one thread… :laughing:

2 Likes

Haha is there such a thing? And here I was certain the limit was infinite!

I guess it’s been taken offline - getting a dns lookup error when I try to sign up. Looked like a cool project though!