New! Portfolio multi-filter and multi-sort

Hi Asanas, I’m Stephen, a Forum Leader and Asana user for ~6 months (a testament to how simple and intuitive the platform is). I’m thrilled to share these awesome enhancements to portfolios with you!

Status Quo
Currently, you can only filter and sort portfolios by a single criterion. If you have multiple custom fields–say, region and budget–there’s no way for you to nest a sort first by region and then by budget.

There are a few requests to address this in the forum, including this one:

In my team, this has forced us to get creative (and manual :grimacing:) about setting up many portfolios to ensure that we surface different combinations of data…but not for long! Asana is launching the ability to filter and sort items in a portfolio by multiple criteria. I cannot overstate how excited I am about this update. :partying_face:

Note: this is available for users on the Business or Enterprise plan (legacy) or Advanced, Enterprise, or Enterprise+ plan (current)

What does this mean?
If you categorize projects by multiple fields (e.g., owner, due date, priority, region, budget, and effort level), you’ll now be able to visualize all of that information in the same view. If you want to sort projects by their owner and then priority, you’ll be able to do that. If you want to filter out projects that have been archived or are on track (i.e., only see your problem children), you’ll be able to do that, too. If you want to combine a multi-filter and a multi-sort…the world is your oyster!

Toggle me for a sorting example

Let’s take a look at sorting first. In the example below, I’m grouping items first by their owner, then by their region and priority. This is going to make running status meetings a breeze.

Toggle me for a filtering example

Let’s next look at filtering. In the example below, I’m showing only items owned by Alan Wang and in the EMEA region. This is important to note: multi-filtering means that items must meet all criteria to remain visible. If you look closely, you’ll notice that I’ve left the multi-sort from the previous example in place; you can combine multi-sort and multi-filtering to really flex your Asana power user muscles! :muscle:

Some technical specs

Supported options for sorting
Sort Option Projects Portfolios
Name :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Team :white_check_mark: :x:
Owner :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Start/Due Date :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Completion :white_check_mark: :x:
Duration :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Time remaining :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Priority :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
SSCF/MSCF Custom Field :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
People Custom Field :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Date Custom Field :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Rollups :white_check_mark: :x:
Goals :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Supported options for filtering
Filter Operator(s) Description Projects Portfolios
Status Contains All/Any Can filter by status options :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Team Contains All/Any Open team typeahead to filter by 1+ teams :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Owner Is Open owner typeahead to filter by owner :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Completion Is Filter by incomplete or completed projects :white_check_mark: :x:
Archive Is Filter for archived or unarchived projects :white_check_mark: :x:
Multi-Select Custom Field Contains All/Any Filter by MSCF picker field :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Single-Select Custom Field Is Filter by SSCF picker field :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
People Custom Field Contains All/Any Opens people typeahead to filter by 1+ users :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Start/Due Date Is Can filter by start/due date :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Date Custom Field Is Can filter by custom date :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Rollups Is Can filter by available rollup data :white_check_mark: :x:
Goals Contains All/Any Opens Goals typeahead to filter by 1+ goals :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:

Example Use Cases

• Gathering all your projects in one portfolio, then slicing them up to see activity by owner across different regions
  • Seeing a content schedule separated by region, channel, and launch date
  • Hiding completed projects or projects associated with specific teams (while running a team-specific status call)

Takeaways
For my team, this is going to streamline our process and give us insight into our data that we simply don’t have currently. Gone are the days of having a separate portfolio for each option in a single-select field! This will make project setup and closeout a much smoother, less error-prone process. For teams on plans with a limited number of portfolios, this is going to allow you to get massively more bang for your buck!

Chime in below with how your team use these new features to up your Asana game!

9 Likes

Hi There, has this feature been launched? I am checking my portfolios in ASANA today 04/15 and the filter and sort don’t show the “multi” ability

Anyone knows if there is any “Save multiple View” for the same Portfolio on the radar? Where we can apply filters and have it available for anyone or private (As it is possible in SP). We actually only have a “Save as default” available

4 Likes

Hello @Jana_Wollmann, this update just rolled out to 100% of users, so you should now see it in your account!

Hi @Bernard_Lévesque, I don’t believe this is something we’re building right now, but I’ll make sure to share your feedback with our product team!

2 Likes

@Marie thanks for the response. I can see it now.

1 Like

This is amazing. Thank you for much for this functionality.