Never complete a task without doing it!

As weird as it might seem, there are people in asana who completes tasks without doing them. Why?! :sweat_smile:

When you are assigned a task, you might not agree. But the work assigned probably still needs to get done. Feel free to comment back, delegate, or assign back, but please donā€™t complete without doing the work!

3 Likes

One of my clients have the workflow of using a custom field ā€œTask acceptedā€ with Yes/No and then the assignee should accept the task after being assigned. This way there is a strong signal to the task created that the task was assigned and accepted. It also helps with a report to find all tasks assign and not accepted in order to follow up or to reassigned.

Oh interesting! But ideally you wouldnā€™t have to go through this and people would naturally reject something they donā€™t want to/canā€™t do isnā€™t it?

@Bastien_Siebman I have two instances in which we mark task completed because the only other option seems to be to delete the task. (marking a task as cancelled would be preferable, but I think we would still use a task stop code to help clarify why)

1. The task had a shelf life that now makes it non-valuable to complete. We want to record the task was created but since we can only delete or complete we use a custom field to the show the Task Stop Code and then mark the task complete.
  2. A list of tasks were created from a brainstorming session and these task are deemed not needed or no longer valuable enough to work on. We donā€™t want to delete the tasks, so again we use a task stop code and mark it completed.
3 Likes

Understood! Right now when I need to cancel a task I turn it into an Approval and reject it myself.

2 Likes

I was about to mention that too, @Bastien_Siebman, as an option for @Tim_Rueb and because it generally relates to this topic and mentions other approaches too. Hereā€™s my related tip:

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

OK, I didnā€™t think the approval process was a good one for us because when I created this work around I couldnā€™t see a way to filter on approvals. But now I see if I dig enough I get to approvals. I guess that would be a viable option also. Being able to search for these cancelled (completed) task and generating a list based on the (custom field) task stop codes was key when we were trying to solve this problem.

1 Like

I think @paulminors has another trick when not doing a task, a tag I believe? :thinking:

Yes, this is just personal use (not within a team) but if I donā€™t do a task for whatever reason, I mark it as complete and tag it with ā€˜DNCā€™ which stands for ā€˜Did not completeā€™.

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman you once had an illustration just about this fact. I canā€™t find it, but Iā€™d love to mention it to a colleague. Can you hint me where it is?

I removed them from my website, here they are.

I was actually looking for ways to manage tasks that need to be closed or archived, but were actually discontinued. I find using the complete feature inappropriate. As much as possible, I dont want to delete so I can keep track of them.

But as it turns out, marking a task as approval only can be done in Asana Business.

I have a post in the making listing ways to cancel a task, hereā€™s the draft:

1. delete
  2. mark cancel in the name and complete
  3. add a tag
  4. move to a project ā€œcancelled tasksā€
  5. use a custom field
  6. cancel a task by marking as approval and then rejecting
2 Likes

@Jan_Go and @Bastien_Siebman, I already mentioned my Forum Leaders tips post on this topic that may be of interest:

Larry

1 Like

Thank you very much! I missed your answer, but this is great!

1 Like