Mark Sections as Complete (in new spreadsheet List view)

I second the points made in this thread. Not being able to delete sections for various phases of a project quickly clutters the task list, making it far less useful.

3 Likes

Completely agree! My team is now left with dozens of active Sections sitting and clogging up the lists which is an extreme hinderance to workflows - our temporary workaround is to drag all unused Sections to the bottom of the list however this is clunky and impractical in the long term.

3 Likes

This! We are in an incredibly high volume season and I’m churning through tasks and sections every day. If I understand correctly, deleting sections means deleting all related tasks - which means we are losing an archive of our crucial Q4 work and will have to rebuild from scratch next year? With the volume of tasks being created, I also can’t keep the completed sections/tasks in our projects - what are our options here?

4 Likes

Really need the feature to mark Sections completed and keep all the tasks within in tact! Not deleting since we retain data. It was working nicely before, why sacrifice this feature

8 Likes

Guys, a little work-around which helps us in the daily struggle:

we created a custom field naming the same sections for a project.
If a section is completed - we move the tasks out of the section - and mark the section in the custom field.
After the tasks have no section anymore, you can easily delete the section.

Its not nice. But give us the visibility in the project we need. Once we have to look in completed tasks the custom field helps us to identify the step in the project when the task was done or related to.

2 Likes

Completing sections was a regular part of our workflow. Like everyone else on this thread, we don’t want to lose the history of the tasks by deleting the section. But now we have a bunch of sections where all tasks are completed creating unnecessary clutter.

These observations are redundant but I’m chiming in to keep this topic alive.

4 Likes

Has anyone heard any feedback or response from Asana yet on this topic? It’s been over a month & I’m wondering (like everyone) if there will be a change in behavior coming any time soon.

1 Like

Nope, I still haven’t heard anything - have no idea if this is something they’re looking to do or what
 quite frustrating.

1 Like

I’ll add my voice to the frustration. The inability to mabage sections the old way is extremely frustrating. All my section use cases are going out the window. I can’t even move sections from one project to the other. Sigh. Two steps forward, two steps back. The Asana way.

3 Likes

Can’t understand the rationale behind removing this functionality. For those that didn’t use completing sections and using section metadata it doesn’t interfere with other parts of Asana, and for those that did use it, it provided essential functionality.

3 Likes

+1 for this feature
 I now have a group of ‘dud’ sections at the bottom of my incomplete tasks list that I can’t delete unless I’m prepared to delete all the associated complete tasks. So my workflow now needs to be:

‘Reuse / rename sub sections’

or

‘Make a sub-section at your peril, for they shall never be unmade’

2 Likes

From what I understand, it has to do with the relationship between sections and the headers in board view. Previously they were very different objects in the underlying architecture, which was creating obstacles in the development path. Now they are identical in the architecture and just represented differently depending on the views.

So that makes good sense. But of course, they’ve caused a large problem with those objects not being able to be properly completed.

Hopefully they can resolve this and we’ll have the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Hey Asana – this is a joke. I just came here because you stopped comments on the other thread (about deleting sections) and directed people here – but you’ve haven’t even said if you’re addressing it or not.

What’s the plan here? We seriously need to know if this is a fix we can expect, or if we need to start thinking about a new tool. There’s no way Asana will be viable a year from now if we have a bunch of projects with uncompleted-yet-useless sections.

7 Likes

Chiming in that this is also an issue for me/my org. We need to be able to archive sections/completed tasks rather than deleting them.

2 Likes

Adding my voice to the list of those who are frustrated for all of the same reasons people have outlined above.

3 Likes

All commenters, please make sure you have voted at the top of this thread.

2 Likes

Please see the detailed post from Antoine near the top of this thread. It contains all known workarounds. I hope one will work for you.

1 Like

Stephanie - Thanks for pointing us in the direction of the workarounds!

Could you also address the question of if this issue will be addressed by Asana or not? It would be greatly appreciated by the whole community.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the workarounds!

Hopefully there will be an update soon regarding an actual fix to this widely-experienced issue with the tool.

1 Like

Jumping in here to see if Asana has made a fix for this. This thread (New Section Dilemma - #7 by Stephanie_Oberg) seems to show the same issue and the hacks Antoine listed at the top of this one are not feasible. No news seems to have come of this issue since October, over 4 months ago.

1 Like