Load Asana custom fields via Power BI API

Hi all @anon4791633 @Christopher @anon13793077 @anon20722890

Sorry I forgot about this thread!!

I’m going to get a bit technical but I’m not a super duper power BI developer, I’m a poke around until it works developer. :slight_smile:

1. Under Transform data, you will want to add asana as a data source with a project or portfolio URL
  2. Save that table, I really don’t do any manipulation, that’s a list of all tasks, by task ID.
  3. Copy and paste that query.
  4. Click the branching arrows at the top of the custom fields column, select Expand to new Rows
  5. Values showing List now say “Record”
  6. Click the branching arrows at the top of the custom fields column again, this time you get a small window of what to select, I leave all checked. and press OK.
  7. I deleted Custom Fields.id, Custom Fields.project_id and Custom Fields.Type, those aren’t relevant for me.
  8. I’m left with 2 new columns, custom fields.name and custom fields.value.
  9. I delete everything except task ID, custom fields.name and custom fields.value.
  10. Some of my fields showed up at “Field Name - Project” so I split column by delimiter of ‘-’ and deleted Custom Field name.2
  11. I filtered custom fields.name.1 to exclude nulls.
  12. Select Custom fields.name.1, and select pivot column under transform ribbon. Select Custom Fields.value, then under Advanced options select don’t aggregate.

End results is a list of Task ID, and a column with each custom field and its value. I then just make a relationship between task ID of the custom field table and the tasks table.

10 Likes