we have a requirement to show some asana-data in our powerbi.
I tried the default asana-api in Power BI and it works except i dont get the custom fields from our asana.
So i was searching for a solution for that named problem and found this forum.
Most of the post are older then one year and i found no “easy” way to get those custom fields outside of asana with power bi. I read with some third party application i can realise named problem.
But, on the asana-page about Power BI itself i read that it is no problem to get access to the Power BI Custom-Fields, so what am i missing here?
Quote(Power BI • Asana): " Visualize your team’s work
Build custom, actionable dashboards based on Asana inputs like Custom Fields to get real-time insights into projects and workflows."
So is there at the moment an “easy” solution for loading custom fields into Power BI? or is coding/a third party necessary?
Thanks for the help!
First, I saw it’s your first time on the forums, welcome!
I just did this in Power BI, when I’m back in front of my work computer I’ll let you know! I’ll toss the steps I took into this thread
But I do remember it was a lot of intermediary steps…
I’m looking for the same thing!
Currently in Power Query Editor but the custom fields I have created are not expanding with the values I expected.
can you please give us an update? : D
I am one step further but still not at the finish line.
I get the data now, but in a total messed up way.
It looks like, that i get for every Custom field, every value from every custome field of the task.
That means what was once one dataset become five, because i have my five custome fields.
Looks like that:
Just the green marked one is the correct value for the field “Responsible”, every other value comes from another custome field i have.
Thanks for the help.
I think I’m having the same issue on this - I’m unable to load custom fields from Asana into PowerBI through the direct link. I can load them with a CSV
I’m also with the same problem. We use a few custom fields to control our projects and I need to create a dashboard on Power B.I. Really looking foward for this solution.
I’m experiencing the same. I don’t see custom fields when connecting to a portfolio URL
Hi all @Igor_Siqueira_Neves @Christopher @Mischa_Kiefer @Anthony_Mann
Sorry I forgot about this thread!!
I’m going to get a bit technical but I’m not a super duper power BI developer, I’m a poke around until it works developer.
- Under Transform data, you will want to add asana as a data source with a project or portfolio URL
- Save that table, I really don’t do any manipulation, that’s a list of all tasks, by task ID.
- Copy and paste that query.
- Click the branching arrows at the top of the custom fields column, select Expand to new Rows
- Values showing List now say “Record”
- Click the branching arrows at the top of the custom fields column again, this time you get a small window of what to select, I leave all checked. and press OK.
- I deleted Custom Fields.id, Custom Fields.project_id and Custom Fields.Type, those aren’t relevant for me.
- I’m left with 2 new columns, custom fields.name and custom fields.value.
- I delete everything except task ID, custom fields.name and custom fields.value.
- Some of my fields showed up at “Field Name - Project” so I split column by delimiter of ‘-’ and deleted Custom Field name.2
- I filtered custom fields.name.1 to exclude nulls.
- Select Custom fields.name.1, and select pivot column under transform ribbon. Select Custom Fields.value, then under Advanced options select don’t aggregate.
End results is a list of Task ID, and a column with each custom field and its value. I then just make a relationship between task ID of the custom field table and the tasks table.
Very helpful information, I was able to see all my custom fields, assuming this would work for Tags as well. Super, super helpful!!! Thank you!
When i try this method, i get to step 5 I get a datasource error.
When Trying this I get:
DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from ‘https://reporting-api.integrations.asana.plus/v1/data?url=https%3A%2F%2Fapp.asana.com%2F0%2Fportfolio%2F1200055502816624%2Flist’ (404): Not Found
I stopped getting the previous error, but now I get this at step 12:
Expression.Error: The index is outside the bounds of the record.
I was able to solve this.
After step 11, before step 12 → click “add column” on the ribbon, then clicking on “index column”.
Thanks for solving the question. After reaching out I will get back to you . Hoping for the best answer for the next topics.
PowerBI Certification Developer.
Even after I add the index, step 12 gives me the following error:
Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator < to types List and List.