List view on sort not showing field name as list sections

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
We have a custom field called “Channels” (SEO, Web, Email, PPC). We like to sort our task list views by this field. In all existing projects in Asana, when we sort, the list view uses those fields as collapsable section heads.

Today, that stopped working. Why?

Steps to reproduce:
Go to any list of tasks. Sort by one of the fields. See that list is not grouped into sections by field values.

Browser version:
Chrome - Version 83.0.4103.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)
MacBook Pro

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @janet_mobley, thanks for reaching out!

This is actually working as intended. I see you are currently sorting tasks within sections.

In order to have the same order as in your A-Team - Digital Marketing project, please simply toggle off the option “Sort within sections” in your FatCat - Digital Marketing project:

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve literally never noticed that toggle before.

Just out of curiosity, can you please elaborate on the idea behind this toggle? From my perspective, the choices are a “regular” sort, like a spreadsheet does. Or you can have the field names become section heads. Is there additional functionality that I’m not seeing (just like I didn’t see the toggle?)

1 Like

This feature was created as users wanted the context provided by sections and the clarity provided by sorting. I personally like to sort the tasks by due date but I’d like to keep my sections and this feature allow me to do that! If you prefer to have the field names become sections heads you simply need to toggle off the sort within section option. You have now two options for your projects :slight_smile:

Hi Emily,

Sorry if I’m slow to understand, but the new toggle says “sort within sections”. When that is turned on, it seems that I can only sort by one column. But, the name of the feature and your reply seems to indicate that you could have things grouped in sections AND sort within each section. I’ve tried that can can’t figure out how it’s any different than the standard way of sorting on just one column. In other words, are you saying there’s a way to sort by more than one field at a time? And if so, please provide screenshots on how to do that because it would be very useful.