Include "Blank" / "Unassigned" when filtering by Assignee

The ability to filter boards was released recently but when filtering by Assignee I notice there is no option for “blank” or “Unassigned” - can you look to include this please? When there are multiple members creating boards within a project and no “auto assign” function then it would be really helpful to have sight of what is not yet assigned.

6 Likes

Hi @Natalie4, welcome to the Community Forum!

That’s a great question and you’re right, it is currently not possible to filter by unassigned tasks. I see what you mean and how this could help your team. As a workaround, you can sort your board view by assignee. By doing so, you will see the unassigned tasks at the end of the columns. Please find more information in this article.

Thanks for sharing this great feedback, we are always working to improve the product.

Let me know if you have any questions, I’d be happy to help!

2 Likes

@Natalie4 - I had this same important need and here’s how I addressed it:
I created a custom report (a saved search) with the search criteria being “Assigned to” and the person being “Nobody” (which is now an option!).

That way, even though I’ve told my team they MUST assign it to somebody when the task is created, this helps us catch any that slipped through.

Not a perfect solution. And, it’d be a million times better if Asana just assigned a task by default to the task creator, but this helps us in the meantime.
Steps 1-4 are attached in these images:

Bryan Bennett - Certified Pro: https://1master.co/bry-certified-pro

5 Likes

Thank you so much @Bryan_TeamKickstart for sharing this very well explained workaround. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @Bryan_TeamKickstart, as you mentioned its not a perfect solution but its not bad.
@Asana if its easier this could work if you could maybe add a COLLAPSE ALL option to the sections? This way I dont have to scroll for days and days to get to the project I want to work through

Thanks @Bryan_TeamKickstart is there any tag to select all except blank (there are some task assign to many people and there are some which not, i want to filter only the assigned task ( I can do it by adding name but is there anything like assigned to somebody (just like nobody) :slight_smile:

@Sumeet_Kumar - I definitely see the need (and have that need also). It’s not available in advanced searches. I tried to create a workaround with the new “Rules” feature, to populate a custom field or add a tag if somebody was assigned, but the “Assigned to” filter / trigger has the same limitations as in Advanced Search and Reports. I submitted a feedback ticket directly to the team though to represent our need (using the “send feedback” link in the new rules feature). My last thought was to try to use Flowsana for it, but it seems to have the same limitation. Thoughts on how we could accomplish this, @Phil_Seeman? (@Sumeet_Kumar - Phil is the amazing creator of Flowsana).

I see the gap - someone (either Asana or Flowsana) would need to add the rule condition/trigger “Task was assigned” without regard for who it was assigned to. Without that, I’m afraid I don’t have any great ideas for how to achieve what @Sumeet_Kumar wants.

I will add it to the list of possible things to add to Flowsana!

It would also be a HUGE help to filter on “Myself + Unassigned” so that team-members can grab tasks from the backlog while still being filtered on themselves.

It is common practice for tasks to be unassigned until moved to “in-progress” when using a Kanban board so I am surprised the feature does not already exist! Please consider this!

4 Likes

This would be ideal for unassigned to be a quick filter. Unassigned tasks on a work board are easily lost and can be in any column. It’s nice to visualize where they are at.

1 Like

When I go over my board I want to see tasks which are unassigned but there is no option, you can only filter tasks which are assigned to someone.
It is really missing and I think easy to do…

2 Likes

Hi @Ziv_Weissman and welcome to the community. :raised_hand:

I’m not 100% sure of what you call “my board”, but I might have a potential solution to your issue.

Asana has a great Advanced search feature, that allows you precisely to search on “Unassigned tasks”.

Here is how to do that:

Then

Bonus:

• You can add more filters to your search

• You can save your search for later (more info)

• (If relevant) You can view your search as calendar and use Sorting options

I hope that helps :v:

2 Likes

Hey Arthur!
Thanks for your comment,

I’m referring to “board view” - with tasks (not list nor grid)

and in this filter

Hey @Ziv_Weissman,
Arthur has shared a great way of finding unassigned tasks.
For board view specifically, that is not possible.
I have therefore merged your request into an existing thread. Don’t forget to upvote there.

2 Likes

Hi, during coordination meeting we are using new option to save filters “on top of the board” There is no option to filter tasks by nobody. Maybe someone have some workaround for this?

Welcome, @Dawid_Fedko,

I’ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

Thanks,

Larry

I’ve attempted the route of the saving the custom search, and this works well but only picks up tasks that exist when the report runs.

On a project list view new tasks appear in real-time, but this does not happen on the saved report view. I have to refresh the report to see what new tasks have come in. This is critical for triage function where we intake tasks into projects and need the users to see their own tickets (tasks) as well as not-yet-triaged tickets. Has anybody else found a better solution for this?

I was wondering if anyone has noticed that you can advanced search for Nobody as an assignee value but you can not filter the same inside a project.

Has anyone seen if this functionality is coming on any shared roadmaps?

Thanks!

@Michael_Mulick,

I’ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

Thanks,

Larry

Thank you Larry!

1 Like