I thought I’d add a few notes on how we have solved a lot of our resource management issues in Asana. This has taken us a long time to get to, and we are still not 100%, but we have made huge strides. I suspect this work will be superseded by the coming features to the business plan we are now on!
We are a digital marketing agency with a mix of project and retainer work. Projects can be ‘build a website over 6 months’. Retainers can be ‘write a blog post (or 50) per month’. We have writers, designers, developers, account managers, all using Asana in their own teams.
In a nutshell (and dump of info) here is how we are doing what we do:
- We use tasks, not sub tasks for everything we want to track time on
- We have a custom field of ‘estimated time’ for hours
- This is mandatory (via company policy) for all work of over an hour
- We use Velocity (https://www.getvelocity.co) to then track (weekly or monthly) how many hours of work people have
- We include a ‘holidays and time off’ project in Asana as well (with hours against it) to help planning for absences
Hope that helps, happy to answer questions if anyone has any.