Holiday/Leave/Block off time - either as PTO, Holiday, or all day task

Hi! Are there any updates to this topic yet? Perhaps with the rollout of the new time estimation tools? Thanks!

4 Likes

This is super necessary! Please add, coming from someone evaluating the tool for their organization.

5 Likes

When establishing deadlines, it would be helpful to have weekend days and/or national holidays marked somehow on the calendar to be able to see how many working days one will have for a particular task. It would be especially helpful for holidays that change dates every year, e.g., MLK Day, Thanksgiving, etc.

6 Likes

Currently, we’re able to add in dates we will be away on Asana.

It would be suuuper helpful to get these features in:

• Task assigner does not allow task to be assigned to someone who is unavailable during the time frame of task
  • Task assigner alerts task assigner when someone will no longer be available during time frame of task
  • Asana allows for the entering of “black out” dates where no task should be due or assigned because the team will not be available those days. Task assigner notifies when a task falls during this date and prompts a different date.
7 Likes

Asana’s scheduling limitations do not allow project personnel to account for “non-working” days. Non-working days can be weekends, holidays, PTO, or other days on which the project team and client have agreed that work will not be performed or due.

This feature is needed because many projects measure deliverable timelines in business days, not calendar days. For example: If a final product is due March 31st, 2023 and the client wants a draft product 30 days early, does this mean they expect a product on March 1st, or February 17th? The difference is quite significant.

Asana’s current feature set is disappointing that it doesn’t account for the basic function of allowing a project master calendar to be applied, something which many other project scheduling platforms do out-of-the-box. Thank you for looking int this.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community Forum @Adam_Caruso! I agree this would be very helpful. Since there is an existing feedback request thread I have merged your post into that one. Don‘t forget to upvote at the top.

The lack of “work availability” management for task times (PTO/holidays/flex time/etc.) is a serious limitation in Asana. This feature is widely available in simple calendar software solutions. There is no justification for the lack of this basic functionality in Asana.

4 Likes

Any idea if this feature is ever going to happen? I joined a company that uses Asana from Wrike. Wrike had this feature down pat, and I am not seeing a good work around for Asana. I am thinking about having my company pay for Wrike and skip Asana. Resource management is essential to my team project management, and respecting my teams time off for holidays or PTO is pretty important for that.

4 Likes

Hello, just signed up but it seems the calendar doesn’t have functionality to automatically indicate public or international ‘day of’ holidays. Is this correct?

1 Like

Welcome, @anon5919640,

Yes, that’s correct. I’ve merged your post into a thread where you can vote for this feature at the top of the thread, and learn some workarounds from other posts there.

Thanks,

Larry

Thank you. that’s not what I wanted (to show leave or time off) but I will unsubscribe. It doesn’t appear to have the functionality to show international and country specific holidays. Thanks for help.

2 Likes

It would be great if we have the option to add public holidays automatically to the calendar - and then block them like we can do with weekends.

6 Likes

Hey @Becky_Manson - how do you block weekends? I wasn’t aware that this is an option.

Hmm, we are currently in the final stages to decide what the final paid solution for project, task and resource management will be. Unfortunately the lack of Holiday integration maybe a deal breaker and force us to choose a competitor. While personal holiday/vacation schedules might be nice to have, we cannot work in a system that can’t account for Holidays. We primarily work with government contract and need to be able to account for government holidays when we build or schedules, and each time the schedule gets updates based on government delays or changes in the project plan. With the roll out of rules and so many other function, you would think there would at least be the functionality for a company to input some enterprise level holidays or blackout days that all project schedules would treat like weekends and work around.

1 Like

@Robyn_Mattivi Five years later and real-world calendar integration has still not been added. You may want to continue keeping your PM tool options open.

2 Likes

As a PM I would love to be able to have my colleagues time off dates in Asana so I am not assigning something while they are away. I saw someone had created a form which then can be connected to our staff google calendar, but that still doesn’t help me when I’m assigning (unless I’m constantly looking at the calendar…which I do already and am hoping for an easy solution from Asana).

1 Like

It is inconvenient that I have to add the time manually when a task crosses the 1 week threshold, and then if something changes, remember to subtract the additional days I put there. Same applies for PTO and bank holidays.

2 Likes

I would also like to see the other post to upvote it :slight_smile:

Hi @anon90506053 , I’m fairly certain that this is the same post that @Marie is referring to.

You can scroll all the way to the top of this thread and hit the purple Vote button in the top left corner!

Hey all,

FYI, our Flowsana integration now has a rule trigger condition:

If the task falls during a holiday or time off…

You specify holidays and time off for your users and your organization within a project in Asana; then you use this new trigger condition to create Flowsana rules that respond to a task being assigned to someone when they will be away from work.

See this Flowsana help article for full details on how this rule trigger condition works.

2 Likes