Holiday/Leave/Block off time - either as PTO, Holiday, or all day task

I would love it if an organization could denote when their company holidays are so that when scheduling due dates, it gave you a warning that you were scheduling something on a day when the company is closed. This seems like it should be a fairly easy thing to do. It doesn’t have to block scheduling things over that day in case there are some teams still working, but throwing a warning message would be helpful.

3 Likes

Love this idea! We use a lot of task and project templates with cascading dates, and while it’s incredibly helpful to see dates populate (x days from start), it would really take it to the next level if we could designate x business days from start.

That’s a great idea!
As a workaround in the meantime you can mark yourself as away in My Profile Settings for holidays in the foreseeable future and then you cannot be assigned tasks due those days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @anon15084943! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged this thread with the main request to centralize feedback: Holiday/Leave/Block off time - either as PTO, Holiday, or all day task

1 Like

Hoping Asana makes this available soon. This is getting very challenging to manage all the project plans I have without asana telling me I’m tasking someone out on their vacation or time off.

4 Likes

It would be great if you could set blackout dates at two levels:

1. Organization level: The org admin could set blackout dates that apply to all employees at the organization, like holidays.
  2. Project level: The project owner could set blackout dates within the project where they know nothing should be due. For instance, maybe you don’t want anything due the entire week between christmas and new year, or during an event where you know key people will not be available to do anything.

It would also be fantastic if there could be a project-level setting that allows you to allow or disallow tasks to be due on weekends.

Finally, regarding the Away feature, I think it would be ideal to not allow new tasks to be DUE during someone’s away time, but I still want to be able to assign things that are due after they get back.

5 Likes

Similarly to how Weekends can be hidden or displayed in Calendar and Timeline, I would like to see a feature where we can create Company-wide or Team-wide Custom Events or Holidays that would be displayed across the calendar and timeline of all projects.

In the Calendar, these events would be displayed as All-Day events spanning multiple days if needed.

In the Timeline, these events would be displayed as column spanning from top to bottom across all Sections of the timeline. They would be grayed out and in the background, meaning all tasks in timeline would be displayed over it.

In both Calendar and Timeline, these events would be read-only and users cannot accidentally select or modify these events.

This feature would greatly help in planning and estimating tasks as we have direct visibility from the timeline and calendar on what workdays are available.

Currently, the lack of this feature means we cannot transition our workflow to Asana. Our current workflow is manual and not great, but we have the ability to visualize company and national holidays as well company wide events. This are important aspects we want to continue to include in our project planning and roadmaps.

Bonus points if this could come directly from Google Calendar integration.

Thanks for your consideration.

Bastian
Software Engineer, Spotify

2 Likes

Hi @anon92307351, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged this thread with the main request to centralize feedback :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do we know when a feature request has been accepted and added to the roadmap? Will this feature request be selected and incorporated? What would be an approximate ETA?

Thank you!

3 Likes

I’m often planning out work a month or more in advance and adding due dates based on internal and external deliverables. I’ve set due dates for team members who will be out of the office at that time. This isn’t always discovered until the due date is close.

I’d love to have a way for folks to enter their PTO schedule in Asana, and alert when trying to assign a task that falls in that team member’s days off. Likewise, for future, scheduled work, if a team member adds PTO time, I’d like to be alerted if the PTO time overlaps with any task due dates.

5 Likes

Although Asana currently doesn’t have something to meet that need, but would be a great addition to add to My Settings, what I recommend to my clients is to create a PTO project where each person is a task with date range for PTO, then add that project to your portfolio and track via Workload.

Not great, but something until we get that sweet integration!

3 Likes

Hello, it is pretty disappointing to see that even though this question was brought up almost 4 years ago, Asana users cannot easily add and view holidays that the entire office shuts down for. I am currently testing out Asana for my team and may not continue to use it after the free trial because having this feature is very important. Really hope this can be built out soon because otherwise I love using Asana. Thanks

6 Likes

Yes! This is exactly what my team needs as well. I’ve been asking team members to manually review their assignments in case I missed noting someone’s PTO while setting up projects. If Asana can set something up where folks can enter their PTO or days when they will be unavailable and then alert users who attempt to assign tasks with deadlines on those days, it would be a lot less manual work for everyone involved. Even better if it works in vise versa too. If an individual puts in these black out dates, Asana can alert the assignee and the task creator/PM/etc that it overlaps with assignments.

4 Likes

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath – any update on whether this is on the Asana roadmap? Tracking team PTO against project tasks is becoming an increasingly big problem as my team grows. :pray:

5 Likes

Being able to mark days as a non-workable day is very important for demand management. Am keen to hear when something like this could be implemented.

5 Likes

Just another idea if this gets implemented. We would love to be able to see this information across projects.

For example - if 3 people assigned at a project level, it shows maybe on the timeline/list/calendar views when they are out/unavailable.

Without having to create a Vacation Project with away dates and add to every single project. I could see it being at the profile level. Add in your vacation days and it displays for any project you are on.

4 Likes

This is a highly needed feature and the topic has been in the forums for several years now, could you please provide an update? -Thanks!

5 Likes

I would like to submit a feature request that would enable a user to set “blackout dates” when they can’t be scheduled for a due date on a task.

For example, our graphic designer has multiple dates this summer when he is unavailable. As a project manager, it would make my job so much easier if he was able to enter those into Asana—so as I am building out project timelines, it would prevent me from scheduling him if it’s on a date when he is unavailable.

This is a feature available on other task management systems, and I’m honestly surprised this is not available on Asana.

3 Likes

Hello @Janie_Williamson welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

Here is an existing feedback thread for you to upvote :slight_smile: : Holiday/Leave/Block off time - either as PTO, Holiday, or all day task

1 Like

Please add this feature!

1 Like