Error when trying to attach file to a project in Android App.

Error received is
“Could not attach file: we only support upload files smaller t…”

What is the file limit size in the app? I can’t seem to find any reference to a file size limit other than the 100MB attachment limit. The file that I am trying to attach is only 26MB.

Can some one provide a link to the info Asana provides related to a smaller upload limit for the Android app?

1 Like

I just found out my Android users have been having the same issue! I haven’t heard of this happening to iPhone users, and I’ve uploaded some pretty big files. We use asana to share videos, so a more forgiving file size for those users would be super helpful

1 Like

To overcome this, I log into Asana.com via the web browser when I need to upload a large file. To overcome the app from automatically opening when you login on the web browser s, you will need to start the browser in incognito mode or private mode. Then browse to asana.com and login… Now when you login the browser will not redirect you to the Asana app on your phone. You will be logged into asana through the browser. Depending on the formatting on your phone, you may also want to enable the “Desktop Mode” on your browser window as well. When using the browser, the limit is 100MB.

My other workaround, is that I upload the large file(s) into a cloud platform and share the link(s) to the file in Asana…

Neither is idea, & both are inefficient… But hey, what are we gonna do??? They know about the issue, so it just depends on if they feel like fixing this…

I also submitted a ticket into support which they responded to…

Here is the log and Asana’s official reply and info regarding this issue.

Sent To Support
Jan 16, 2024, 5:48 PM PST
Upload attachment in mobile App. When I try to upload a video file attachment that is 25MB, I receive an error that states “could not attach file…we only support upload files smaller…” What is the app upload limit? Where is this limit stated on your website? I only can find the mention of a 100MB file attachment limit.

Reply From Support
Jan 16, 2024, 9:06 PM PST
Hi Brook‍,

Patricia from the Support team here. Sorry to hear you’ve run into trouble when attaching a file to your task, I’d be happy to help you with this.

You are correct, there is a 100MB per file limit for attachments from your computer as stated here, however, this is for attachments using a computer. For mobile, there is a 20mb limitation.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused as there are certain limitations when using a mobile application. I highly recommend uploading/attaching this file using a computer for a better experience.

Having said that, I can easily understand your point and how it could improve Asana. For this reason, I have gone ahead and noted your report for our Product Team. I think it will be important for making our product more robust in the future. I also believe that these kinds of reports might encourage our engineers to implement this option.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It really helps us understand the needs of the people who use our product.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please simply let me know and I will be glad to help, Brook.

Thank you so much and have a great day!

Sincerely,
Patricia

Replied To Support
Jan 16, 2024, 9:19 PM PST
Is the 20MB limit stated anywhere on your website?

Reply From Support
Jan 17, 2024, 5:50 PM PST
Hi Brook,

Unfortunately, this information cannot be found on our website at the moment. I was able to find this from our internal resources.

Having said that, I can easily understand your point and how it could improve Asana. For this reason, I have gone ahead and noted your report for our Product Team regarding this mobile attachment limit. I think it will be important for making our product more robust in the future. I also believe that these kinds of reports might encourage our engineers to implement this option.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It really helps us understand the needs of the people who use our product.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please simply let me know and I will be glad to help.

All the best,
Patricia

:broken_heart: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

That really chaps my hide if the iPhone app does not have this same issue, and the Android app is being treated like an ugly step child! :sob:

We have a couple iphones around here… I am going to test and report back.

1 Like