Custom fields visible from tasks and custom_fields APIs and but through workspace API

Hello

I’ve been trying to get custom fields from workspace

GET /workspaces/{workspace_gid}/custom_fields

API and it resulted with this error:

{
    "errors": [
        {
            "message": "Custom Fields are not available for free users or guests.",
            "user_message": "Custom Fields are not available for free users or guests.",
            "help": "For more information on API status codes and how to handle them, read the docs on errors: https://asana.com/developers/documentation/getting-started/errors"
        }
    ]
}

Interestingly enough, I am able to obtain custom fields from /tasks attached to the project, as well as get specific custom fields from /custom_fields API too

GET /custom_fields/{custom_field_gid}

GET /tasks?project={project_gid}&completed_since=2012-02-22T02:06:58.158Z&modified_since=2012-02-22T02:06:58.158Z&opt_pretty=true&opt_fields=name,custom_fields&limit=25

Could you kindly help me what I might be doing wrong?

Custom fields are set inside of the project and should be available through the API.

1 Like

Hi @INFO_RCSC and welcome to the forum,

I’m not sure myself, I haven’t seen this scenario before.

However, I have a theory. Is it the case that the workspace is on the Free/Basic plan, and the project you’re working with is part of a Team or Division within that workspace that’s on a paid plan?

1 Like