Creating an external view of Asana board for Confluence wiki usage

Hi folks - just wondering if there is a way to have an HTML export of a specific project board that can then be imported into a Confluence wiki page as view only?

I’ve tried to export as json, convert to HTML then insert into Confluence but the output is very messy, has a ton of columns and is not usable at all.

I’d like something that merely shows the board columns and the appropriate cards that are within those columns - essentially the board view I have with the Asana license I have.

Any way to provide that view in Confluence without running into licensing issues?

Thanks.

7 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman is the one to connect with on that question; I know he can provide you with some info. I’m sure he’ll respond, having now been summoned. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Phil_Seeman - I appreciate the hand off.

I’ll standby for a response by @Bastien_Siebman. (summons #2 :slight_smile:)

Would also like to board to dynamically update the wiki whenever changes are made on the Asana project - not just export once then the info becomes stale or irrelevant after a day or so of changes on the board.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi,

That last bit makes all the difference X) I had a solution (three-dots.io) but nobody was willing to pay for it so it was discontinued. You can check out dashboard solutions on The ultimate guide for doing things with Asana and integrate an iFrame into Confluence if possible.

Tell me if that sounds like gibberish to you :slight_smile:

Thanks @Bastien_Siebman - when I went to my wiki page and selected the iFrame macro it asked for the URL that was going to be used, so I copy/pasted the URL for my specific project and hit save. I was really excited and thought it couldn’t be that simple - and I was right.

When the page came up I go an error message that said “This content cannot be displayed in a frame. To help protect the security of information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame.”

Is the publisher my company or is Asana somehow blocking the use of the URL in an iFrame?

1 Like

Asana is blocking the use of iFrame. And that will only work for someone with permissions on this project and logged in Asana, probably not what you want to achieve…

Indeed - not what I’m looking to achieve.

When I was talking about iFrame integration, I was thinking about integrating another dashboard view into Confluence, not Asana directly.

Love this question! I have the same need. The team I manage uses Asana. Our DEV team uses JIRA and multiple teams use or have access to Confluence. One of my projects is a collection of tasks that folks in Confluence need to see. I’m currently exporting once per month and posting a “snapshot” to Confluence. Pain.

@Marc from Unito, maybe you have a holy grail solution for this?

Hi @Jeffrey_Moser!

@Bastien_Siebman summoned me (thanks!) because our company (Unito.io) provides full Asana-Jira task/issue sync, including statuses. So if you’re using Jira too, you could sync your Asana project to a Jira project/board, and then embed that board in confluence. It’s a bit of extra work, but should work seamlessly once setup.

A quick search tells me Confluence can natively embed dynamnic Jira boards, but I haven’t tried it : How to bring JIRA and JIRA Agile Reports into Confluence | Confluence | Atlassian Documentation

If you try this out, please let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Marc @ Unito

1 Like

Hi All! I know it’s been over a year – but wondering if any changes have been made to make it simpler to include either an iFrame view of Asana projects / portfolios / timelines into Confluence. The macro pulling in a live link is nice, but ideally, I want to help my team get a holistic view of projects without having to leave Confluence.

22 Likes

Want to +1 to this! It would be GREAT to embed an Asana board into Confluence

This is a HUGE need for me as I am NOT on an Engineering team, yet we need to work with Engineering, Product, and Legal. All use Confluence and Jira - our team loves Asana, but not having the visibility to embed a dynamic board within Confluence certainly reduces my leadership team’s view of this tool. It hurts that we can’t show the work being done more broadly (Even if it were purely in read mode only it would be of value). Any updates or notes on if this will be on the roadmap sometime soon?

I completely agree. Asana, please provide a way to better share portfolio views externally so companies can better visualize rollups to leadership teams. IFRAME embed would be great so we can share these pages on a SharePoint site or elsewhere.

@Adam_Ray1, See my answer to a similar post you made here: