Computed Fields on Tasks

Voted as well - a rather basic thing with a potentially enormous impact on functionality and usability. It is really a pity to not see this standard feature on an otherwise great product.

Is it at least already being discussed in the product team?

So far over 135 votes and regular posts by the forum leaders yet no actual comment on the matter itself.

Greetings

3 Likes

Is this on a roadmap?

1 Like

Any update on this?

1 Like

For example, if a filed is a choice field for story points of Fibonacci numbers - 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13… then allow the user to use the field with number featurs such as:

• Column totals - average, sum, max, min, count
  • Dashboard: In addition to the pie chart (because it still is a choice field) be able to display in the burn down chart or the or the number widget.

Hi @AdamTerrey :wave: we already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Computed Fields on Tasks to consolidate feedback.

Any update on this? It’s make or break whether we migrated over to Asana…

1 Like

This is very relevant, and should be prioritized!!

3 Likes

I am evaluating Asana to see how we could port our existing project tracking. We have calculated fields in excel that do date subtraction to capture elapsed time for multiple stages for reporting to our Kaizen huddle board. I don’t see any way to do this in Asana. Otherwise Asana looks great. Please add calculated fields so we can do simple things like date subtraction. We’ll wait until that’s done then re-consider. Thanks!

At the end of custom field number-columns it is possible to choose from 3 variations of number manipulation, but I would like to be able to create custom formulas within main tasks.

For example, if I have numbers in sub tasks I would like the parent task to display a specific number calculated from the sub tasks and then I would like the number at the end of the sections column to calculate based only from the numbers in the parent tasks.

It’s mainly used as a way of seeing the main tasks progression by use of a number system. ie “The % of sub tasks completed”

2 Likes

I agree! This would be so powerful and it’s gravely needed!

Paging @Bastien_Siebman - are you still offering your calculated fields service?

I do, more than ever. However my current system allows a field to be computed from other fields on the same task. Subtasks are not involved. That isn’t hard to do, I just need a first request from someone! Anyone can DM me for détails.

1 Like

What’s the status on this request? With over 150 users in our organization, this feature is extremely helpful and really essential to our operation. I’m adding another vote.

Quick reminder that I have a solution for this. I have a code that runs regularly and applies formulas to various projects and tasks. I personally use it to compute an invoice amount in euros even though I sometimes invoice in dollars, my clients use it for ICE score, rice score, weighted volume etc.

And I just updated the code to take into account created date, completion date and completion status. That allows me to have a column with “Created since X days” and “Completed after X days”.

Reach out to me (siebmanb@gmail.com) to know more!

3 Likes

@Richard_Williams @Jaco_Cohen The Screenful Reports add-on for Asana supports calculations based on Asana custom fields. You can learn more from this blog post. You can email me at sami@screenful.com for more information or live demo.

This absolutely needs to be added for basic project management. A calculated field would be great and i’d like to understand what’s blocking this from being prioritized.

3 Likes

No updates whatsoever on this yet?
:open_mouth:

1 Like

Any updates on this?

2 Likes

I’d love to hear of a temp solution, but also Asana’s plan on how/if they will resolve it.

2 Likes

Should be out of the box. Monday.com allows for formulas. This is a show stopper

2 Likes