Any chance you'll enable webhooks for milestone creation?

The webhook for tasks with a tag is incredibly useful, but I still have several client implementations that would hugely benefit from webhooks for milestone creation. I understand the avoidance of webhooks for task creation because of the sheer volume and the strain on the API and the cost of maintaining such a webhook.

However, milestone webhooks seem to make a lot of sense, just like tag webhooks. What are the magic words to say here in the dev forum to rally the support this needs to get some momentum?

Calling the webhook master @Phil_Seeman to the rescue here

1 Like

Most will quickly realize Iā€™m not a developer, so Iā€™m not sure whether webhook was the right thing to be looking for. My point, to be more explicit, is that integromat can list all tasks that fit any of the following criteria:
tasks from a specific project
tasks from a specific project and section
tasks assigned to a specific person
tasks with a specific tag

It canā€™t list all tasks (and I know that would be a massive API burden). What I do want it to do though is to be able to list all milestones, which I figure would be very similar to listing all tasks with a specific tag.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify because I think webhooks fire when specific triggers happen, and since Iā€™m saying I need it to list ā€œall tasks marked as a milestoneā€, itā€™s probably an API functionality question rather than merely a webhook question.

@Phil_Seeman - am I making any sense? Someday Iā€™ll be able to carry on a coherent conversation with the development community. Until then, any pointers to clarify what Iā€™m trying to say would be amazing.

2 Likes

Your Integromat has ā€œanotherā€ trigger, and inside the actions you want to be able to list milestones? If yes, I could give you the code to do a search request to the API to get the milestones.

OR you want each new milestone created to trigger your Integromat?

@Bastien_Siebman -
Actually, I have two different integromat scenarios.

On one of them, I need it to trigger when any milestone is created anywhere in the workspace/organization. So, if I understand correctly, that would need to be a webhook.

On the other one, I need to be able to run an automation to list all milestones. Ideally, I do not want to list all tasks and then have integromat filter for which ones are milestones (that will cost me a lot more in Integromat). Is it possible to list all milestones across a whole account?

Yes with a search request, you can specify the type of tasks you are looking for.

@Phil_Seeman do webhooks exist for task created anywhere?

Nope - only on a per-project basis.

Hi @Bryan_TeamKickstart,

First thing to understand is that there is no ā€œmilestoneā€ object in Asana; a milestone is simply a task with a particular field (the resource_subtype field) set to a value of milestone instead of a value of default_task.

Now on to your scenariosā€¦

Per my above initial comment, the only way to catch milestones is to set a webhook for tasks, and then check the resource_subtype of the task to see if its milestone.

You can only set task webhooks on a per-project basis, not for the whole organization, so youā€™d have to have a webhook created for each project in the organization.

As you mentioned, itā€™s not a very efficient process, but thatā€™s what we have to work with.

Since I donā€™t know Integromat, I canā€™t comment on how you might solve this need with them. But they have the same set of tools to work with as Iā€™ve described here.

I think @Bastien_Siebmanā€™s idea of using the Search API is a good one. But again, I realize you have the constraints of Integromat to work with, so it would probably have to be something that they support.

ccā€™ing @Michaela_S from Integromat in case there any additional insights on their platform to know aboutā€¦

Hey guys!

@Phil_Seeman is exactly right here

When making this work with Integromat, you would utilize the ā€˜Watch Webhook Eventsā€™ trigger
(you can check out the Asana integration page to see all the triggers and actions, btw).

The ā€˜milestoneā€™ would then be visible in the resource_subtype bit of the task webhook:

2 Likes