A new upgrade Tier - "Family." Roll out with new "Achievements," ie Gamification, options in Asana

This suggestion assumes a premise: a family is a team worthy of a superb tool such as Asana.

I urge you to consider a new upgrade option. This new option could be priced below the “Premium” $10.99 option. You know that little asterisk where it says “Small team discounts may apply”. I’m saying, make the small team discount price point a permanent option called “Family”

This family option would only need basic features but one thing you could put in there is a new feature called Achievements (or whatever you want to call them). The idea being the Gamification of Asana. That is… Badges, rewards, scoreboards, weekly brag(err performance) reports, premium avatars etc…

So Achievements come included with the family plan. But could also be an add-on product for the business-focused upgrade tiers. Not all businesses would want to Gamify their Asana… But some would, and could have the option to add it on.

I’d like to add… The problem this solves for me is user engagement. Meaning, I think Gamification would get more families (and my family) more engaged with asana. And more likely to use Asana.

As a work-around for family planning, we use Google Calendar. It’s familiar. It does events pretty good. And it gets the job done. What I’d really love is for the whole family to use Asana for recurring events, also tasks and projects. I think it would be awesome to have a weekly email to the whole family giving kudos to the top task performer(Like the Chore Champion).

That is an interesting idea! Not sure Asana wants to push the use from families, when they are pushing so hard for enterprise clients.

1 Like

Hi @Adam_Miller1 and welcome to the Forum!

I love your idea!! This is not part of our near-term plans, but hopefully, this is something we can look into in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pricing for home use is prohibitive to families. Creating a family rate could be beneficial to Asana, too, since it could potentially expand recognition by users who could then potentially recommend for business purposes.

Our family loves it and we want more features, but can’t justify upgrade costs at business rates.

Even my 7 year old is using Asana. One could also make a case for homeschool use…

1 Like

Welcome to the Community Forum @Leslie_Rainey!

This a very good idea! We have an existing thread about this topic. I’ve gone ahead and merge your post with A new upgrade Tier - “Family.” Roll out with new “Achievements,” ie Gamification, options in Asana in order to consolidate feedback.

Thanks again for share this great feedback! Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

3 Likes

@Leslie_Rainey in my opinion only your partner and yourself could be members (and then take 2 seats) and the rest of the family could be guests.

Just dropping in here to show interest in a family plan as well!

I just noticed the “You’re about to hit your team’s 1,000 task limit” banner notification upon creating a task.

A thread about it is already created here: 1,000 Tasks Alert
As Jerod posted there, the limit even includes completed tasks.

Asana is used within my household of ±10 people to create and complete about 2500-3000 tasks yearly and is used as archive and reference of completed work as well.
A limit like this will severely impact the way we are able to use Asana and unfortunately, the pricing model is (as mentioned by @Bastien_Siebman) mostly directed towards enterprise and same as @Leslie_Rainey we can hardly justify the upgrade costs.

Is there any update regarding the support for a family plan?
Conglomerates like Microsoft are also mainly B2B but support home usage as well :slight_smile:

With the 1000 tasks limit in place without an affordable upgrade plan we might have to look for alternatives although I’m quite sure nothing beats Asana in simplicity, usability, stability and easy of use.
It really is a great product, used in the company I work at extensibly as well. So big cheers for making this great product! :+1:

1 Like

*Can’t edit my previous post

Oh, btw: raising the task limit (per team) or not counting completed tasks is also a perfectly viable solution for the use case of our household :slight_smile:

1 Like

HI @Levi3, this is only something we’re testing, we haven’t made any formal decision in regards with a hard limit in free teams - we will communicate in the announcements if that was ever to become a formal limit.

In the meantime, if you run into this limit, we recommend creating a new team (which may imply re-organising your workflow around teams rather than projects?) or deleting old/archived projects and/or completed tasks.

Family plans aren’t in our short-terms plans, but this is definitely something we could look at in the future, and if we do I’ll be sure to keep you posted on this thread!

2 Likes

I’m so happy that someone brought this up!
I’m a big fan of asana since I know how to use asana at work. I love every aspect of it and find it relevant for managing my personal and family projects!

That’s why I recommended asana to my husband & friends. Many of my friends’ family and my family are now using asana for managing our family matters. But of course all the features I sold them (what I use at work) are not available for users with free accounts. Unfortunately at the moment, subscribing with the normal tier wouldn’t be an option for us as it’s quite an amount. Would be great to have this family Tier :smiley: I know a lot of other families who would appreciate this! Mine would certainly do :star_struck:

4 Likes

I, too, would be interested in a “family” option. It seems to me that Asana mostly has this in place with organizations. If you and another member of the family share the same “organizational” email address, you can invite unlimited guests (such as kids, extended family, friends) on shared projects.

However, if you and the other member have different email addresses (such as icloud.com or gmail.com) then anyone else you invite–only for specific projects–counts as another seat to be paid for. This could quickly become cost-prohibitive for family use.

What I would like to see is an option to pay for only one seat, for personal/family use, with the option to invite others only to specific projects (as it works for guests in an organization). This would allow me to use the premium features of Asana for personal use, but still be allowed to collaborate on certain projects when the need arises. If the guest doesn’t pay for a seat, then the guest only has access to the free-tier features. If the guest pays for his/her own Asana account, then the guest would also have access premium features both as a guest on one of my shared projects, but also for the projects in the guest’s own workspace.

Basically, I’m trying to say that I really like Asana–take my money! But, it doesn’t make sense to me that larger organizations don’t have to pay for guests, yet individuals do. I would upgrade my account immediately if I only had to pay for myself, and guests worked as above.

1 Like

FYI buying a domain name is really cheap (a few dollars a year on hover.com for example) so you can create “saleen-family.com” with a few email addresses. You’ll still have to pay for 2 seats minimum though.

You could also find other families, get a domain for you all, and buy more seats. If you get at least 5 seats, you can work with Solution Partners like me, and I would be happy to consider a family discount! You can DM me or contact me on bastien@ido-clarity.com :slight_smile: :hugs:

This makes sense for Asana.

The tools we use for our families, we use for work. The lack of a family plan requires me to use another solution for managing my family projects. The more I use that solution, the less I need Asana in my life, and the more gravity I have to pull my life out of Asana and manage it elsewhere.

Simple and easy fix: Asana should provide a Family plan. Won’t require new features, just a pricing and packaging solution. Will make Asana more integral to my life, stickier in my orbit and the orbit of people around me (including my family and colleagues)

1 Like

I don’t work for Asana but I am guessing that have a very good reason for not “taking the money on the table”.

My guess: adding a new tier would make the price table more complex, it would require to define what is a family, it would require to check and police people around if the family tier is more interesting than existing ones, it would also generate maybe more support requests than a regular business…

I am not saying they are correct to do so, I am just saying there is obviously a reason for not doing something that looks easy from the outside.

I would also add to the very good reasons @Bastien_Siebman mentioned: I think (this is purely just my opinion) if you look at the features they’re focused on - goals, dashboards, more admin controls, etc. - you can reasonably conclude that their primary focus is on the enterprise market segment. Introducing a family option would only dilute some portion of their resources away from this focus.

The death knell for many companies has been to have too broad or scattered a focus. In many cases, adhering to more of a rigorously-disciplined laser focus on limited areas brings a higher probability of success.

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman and @Phil_Seeman . Thank you for weighing in. I actually agree with you that the likely reason we do not see this new family teir, is because it is not a focus for the company.

I’d add to that: If there is enough interest for what we’re proposing, maybe the focus will broaden.

I’ve also been thinking about another tool I use called “jamf”. They basically give their
“basic” serive away. It is literally something like $1 per device to use their basically enterprise mobile management web software.

Why do they do that? I’m assuming that jamf, like asana, is really focused on enterprise to survive. But maybe it costs them little to nothing to release a “nerfed” version of an existing product, and more or less give it away. But still gain an additional stream of income.

And as I write that… I am fully aware that I am using Asana for free. To great effect. So yea I dunno.