A new API for Project Templates

@anon58279254 Yes, if I understand the question, the Auto-Adjust Workflow will work the same on projects made from a 2.0 template as they will from a 1.0-template-based project.

@Phil_Seeman it was announced that the is_template will be deprecated in August. Any idea if this is postponed since the force migration did not happen?

I haven’t heard any news on this, sorry.

Hey folks, cross-posting from the weekly API update, we have a new
timeline for New Project Templates that I want to make sure you’re all aware
of.

• current status (Aug 16): opt-in (Project resources still include the
    is_template field, but your API client can include a
    Asana-Enable: new_project_templates header to receive the new resource
    treatment)
  • next change (Aug 24): opt-out (Project resources will no longer include the
    is_template field by default, but your API client can include a
    Asana-Disable: new_project_templates header to temporarily revert to the old
    treatment)
  • final change (Sep 24): deprecation complete (Project resources will no
    longer include the is_template field, and there will no longer be a way to
    revert to the old treatment)

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Yours in Developer Relations,
Sasha, on behalf of the Asana API Team

1 Like

I know this might be a slightly old topic but we’re just starting with Asana and i’m running into a similar with creating a template via the API. I’m getting the same date issue if I use “1” as the date GID, but if I use “2” it creates it, but it seems that 2 sets the due date, and the start date is not set it seems to just pick a random start date, one project was starting in July one was in August, if I try and put in both “1” and “2” as an array of dates it says that it must contain only one start date or one due date. I only want the due date to populate as well. Only one of my tasks refences the due date, and its being used a 20 days BEFORE the due date. Any way to just have the Due date populate?

Are you having this issue when creating a template, or when creating a project from a template? You’re talking about supplying actual calendar dates so it seems you’re talking about creating a project?

hey folks, a reminder that the Asana-Disable headers will stop working soon (end of September) for New Project Templates. At that point, the API will only return the new schema for New Project Templates and is_template will be no more.

3 Likes

It looks like you can’t query for all templates in an org, do you have to do it team by team? :frowning: Not possible to get templates for an org?

This seems to be in Node, any idea how to do this in Python?

The syntax should be quite close. I had to read the source code to understand how to use it.

Any update on when “getting all tasks under a project template” will be possible? @Tony_Anh_Nguyen asked for this 6 months ago.

This is a hard business requirement for us.

It is especially frustrating as this was definitely possible before you introduced templates as templates were just regular projects before, so you could use the GET /projects/{project_gid}/tasks endpoint to get all tasks for a template.

This is no longer possible and an equivalent GET /project_templates/{project_template_gid}/tasks doesn’t exist.

We don’t even need full CRUD functionality, having basic read functionality would suffice.

Thanks

@anon12228830 Any news you might be able share on API enhancements to Project Templates?

cc: @sasha_f

I’m trying to utilize the automation tool, Make (formerly Integromat) to duplicate a project. With the new templates, the action “Duplicate a project” is not working. I am trying to utilize the “Make an API Call” action to find the project template and then create a project from the template. I am running into issues and would love any suggestions. When I try using the standard “Duplicate a project” action I receive this error:

[403] project: Not the correct type

Origin

Asana

Automatic error handler

If you want to handle this error automatically, choose one of the following options. This will create a new error-handler route in your scenario. You can then expand the route in any way you like.

Has anyone utilized the “Make an API Call” action to create a project using the new project templates? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

1 Like

You can’t use the old endpoint to duplicate a project, you have to use the new one. Can you share the exact call you are making, with a screenshot for example?

Thanks for the response Bastien. I resolved the issue. Human error :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone out there know the API call to move a project into a portfolio?

Yes :raised_back_of_hand:

2 Likes

Hi @Dillion_Castillo - I am having the same issue in Make. How did you manage to make/duplicate a project from the new templates?

@Zac_Kirkham keep in mind that in tools like Make or Zapier, you always the ability to directly call the API. It requires more skills, but can help you go around missing actions.

1 Like

You need to utilize the “Make an API Call” action like Bastien stated. Replace the Project ID the arrow is pointing to with the one you want to use/duplicate

Here is the body you can use. I have dynamic content in there for the name and team but you get the jest.

Use whatever dynamic content you want for the name of course and make sure to put the correct team ID and Organization ID in there and boom you should be good to go.

{
“data”: {
“is_strict”: true,
“name”: "{{9.text}} - Client Onboarding Project ",
“public”: true,
“requested_dates”: [
{
“gid”: “1”,
“value”: “2022-01-01”
}
],
“team”: “{{11.body.data.gid}}”,