A new API for Project Templates

Hi @AndrewWong,

One other new endpoint you might want to add to the API Changes bullet list is the ability to create a project template from a project (Create a project template from a project). It is mentioned in the migration section but not in the changes list, so some folks might miss it.

One question, @AndrewWong: during this period when both PT 1.0 and 2.0 templates will be returned intermingled in a GET list, how should we differentiate between them?

You shouldn’t need to differentiate between them, the template APIs work the same with both. We built it this way because users can convert their legacy project templates to the new system at any time, and we didn’t want our developers to have to react to these conversions.

1 Like

Hello!

So my application relies on getting all the tasks under a project which are templates.
With this change, is there any option to be able to get all tasks in a project template?

Hi @Tony_Anh_Nguyen,

No, not currently. Asana will likely be adding CRUD capability to the new Project Templates 2.0 but it’s not there now.

(cc: @Kem_Ozbek, here’s another vote for CRUD in PT 2.0)

Hi @Phil_Seeman,

Any chance we know when that might be added?

No, sorry, @Tony_Anh_Nguyen, I don’t have any info on timing.

Hi everyone! I began the work to migrate my application to the new endpoints, but quickly ran into a roadblock because the latest versions of the Asana Node.js SDK are not being published to npm. Could you all reach out to the maintainers of the Node.js SDK internally to get this fixed up?

The latest release on GitHub is v0.18.3 (released on March 4, 2022) which adds support for the project templates API, but the latest release pushed to npm is v0.18.6 (released on Feb 26, 2021).

I’m bringing it up here because there is a GitHub issue for this, but it hasn’t seen any activity from the maintainers.

I looked through the commit log and I think they deploys broke because Travis CI stopped running jobs on travis-ci.org. If that is indeed the reason, it should be a pretty easy fix to move the repository over to travis-ci.com and re-run the build. Happy to help with that process if needed :smiley:

It is probably too late but templates v2 do not seem ready for our clients and us. They are lacking some features like multi-select of tasks, define default sort or filter, define/edit dashboard… am I missing something or did all of this will disappear slowly with no fix in sight?

Has someone compiled a list of features that will disappear? Otherwise I will.

cc @Phil_Seeman

I don’t know of a comprehensive list in one post. There is a bunch of discussion about missing features here: Say Hello to Project Templates 2.0!

That thread is probably the best place for further discussion on PT 2.0, and for such a list.

I believe this update is affecting my Asana for Salesforce integration. The Asana for Salesforce app is no longer recognizing any of my custom templates that I have created in Asana, and therefore will not let me automatically create a project in Asana when an Opportunity is initiated in Salesforce (which is like the biggest feature of the integration).

Is anyone else having this issue? Anyone with a solution?

@Abby_Watson1,

I don’t have any first-hand experience with the Salesforce integration, but I know when Asana released PT 2.0, they said the Salesforce integration had been updated to handle the new templates. So I’d recommend using the Report a Bug forum area to file a bug report on this.

Thanks Phil! Asana support requested yesterday that I uninstall and reinstall the integration using a new link they sent me via email. Unfortunately, the link they sent me was for the same version of the integration that I was already using, and so the problem persisted.

I will take your advise and also post this issue in the Report a Bug forum.

Hopefully will have a solution soon!

1 Like

I’m am trying to create a new project from a template in Asana using the API. I am consistently getting a error relating to the ‘requested date’ field.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

You are passing a field without a value, instead of emptying the field in Postman, untick the box in front of the field :slight_smile: That should do the trick.

Thankyou for your fast response Bastien, Unticking the box does not seem to make a difference here. The only way I can get the API to execute successfully is to remove the due dates in the project template.

Here is a screen recording of me demonstrating that the API works when the due dates are removed from the project template. When the dates are in the project template the API fails.
https://vimeo.com/731621655

If you have dates in the template, then you need to give either a start date or an end date. That’s why the call is failing. requested_dates is probably compulsory.

1 Like

Your body should be json and not form data. (select raw and then JSON)

Example body:

{
“name”: “test project”,
“team”: “1200303191xxxxx”,
“public”: false,
“requested_dates”: [
{
“gid”: “1”,
“value”: “2022-08-01”
}
]
}

if this is still not working, try to get the project template to find out which “gid” is used.

1 Like