Webhooks - Project changes

Hello!

I’m configuring some webhooks to monitor when informatioin is changed on several project.
I’ve the business version with Porfolios, and I’m trying to get an update when a project custom field is changed.

I’ve created a Webhook related with a project, and I get an update every time a task is changed, but I don’t get it when the project itself is changed.

Any ideas why? Is this the normal behavior? Is there a way to get a list of the actions that trigger webhooks?

Thanks!

Hi @diego.corubolo

Unfortunately, this is correct - we don’t send any events for project-level changes, only events which happen on tasks. We may change this in the future, but for now you will have to periodically make requests for the status of the custom fields on the project rather than getting events or webhooks :confused:

Thanks for the feedback, and we’ll make a record of the suggestion.

Thanks for the update Matt!

Would be a nice update for the future, for now I guess I can poll for projects and check fit there was any change

HI! This post is old, but i wanna know if the feature of create webhooks at project level was implementated.

This could be very useful if its not implementated yet

Also, where i can find docs about the different options to create webhooks for tasks?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Hi @Alejandro_Gonzalez_T,

Yes, this has been implemented! What you can do now is set a webhook at the workspace or team level, and on that webhook specify filters of project_added, project_changed, project_deleted - this will send you a webhook event whenever a project is added, changed, or deleted.

You can further refine the filter with a fields parameter to get notified when only certain properties of a project change.

See this part of the API docs for more info: Webhooks

Great! thanks a lot.

I have a question related to project webhooks, they could supervise that a new task its created in the project?

Thanks

To monitor task-level changes in a project (including new tasks being added), you’ll need to set a webhook for that specific project.

1 Like

Hello,

Now the project level webhook exists. I am still not able to recieve any custom field changes on the project webhook (I have changes option of a custom field and checked). Is it still not implemented?

Hu @Avinash1,

When you say “custom field changes”, do you mean changes to the custom field settings on the project (like adding a new custom field to the project or removing one), or do you mean changes to the values of project-level custom fields? (Or something else?)

I mean the settings (including adding and removing options from/to the setting)

I was hoping that was not what you meant :grimacing: because unfortunately project-changed webhooks don’t fire for changes in Custom Field Settings. They fire for every other type of change in project configuration that I’ve tried except custom fields. I have no idea why that’s the one exception, but it is.

I’ve made it known to Asana that it would be great if we could have those changes generate webhooks!

cc: @Ross_Grambo

1 Like

Hi again,

Im trying to stablish a webhook where can supervise when new tasks are added, the following webhooks isnt working. How can i achieve this?

Also, the documentation about webhooks are limitated, where i can learn more about this?

Thanks!

{
“data”: {
“resource”: “1191096445245138”,
“filters”: [
{
“resource_type”: “project”,
** “action”: “changed”**
}
],
“target”: “*****”
}
}

Hi @Alejandro_Gonzalez_T ,

Try changing your webhook request to this:

{
    “data”: {
        “resource”: “1191096445245138”,
        “filters”: [
            {
                "resource_type": "task",
                "action": "added"
            }
        ],
        “target”: “*****”
    }
}

Make sure the “resource” parameter contain the gid of the project you want to monitor.

I agree, it’s pretty sparse. There’s no other place to learn more other than here in the forum.