Support quotes and wildcard in Search function

Yes, this is all crucial.

Anything you can share about this, Asana?

2 Likes

Hi Asana,

Please let me know if there is a feature by which we can search the content within a attachment of the tasks also. Generally we have Word files or pdf files as attachments and It would be really useful if asana consider the content within attachments also which using the search function.

Regards
Ayush

2 Likes

Dear Asana developers, any updates on this?
Project management without normal search algorithms is impossible, please fix this. We need wildcards and we hope it’s just a temporary “bug” - not a “feature”

4 Likes

How can the the search functionality in a project management app be so lacking & yet this task only has 11 votes!? :anguished:

I love Asana but the limited search capabilities drive me crazy sometimes & I agree the improvements listed in this request would be GREATLY appreciated. Please. :pleading_face:

5 Likes

Wow - the lack of functionality that is SO EXTREMELY FUNDAMENTAL is astounding. Hello, Asana: why is there no way to search for “tele*” and have Asana find:

telephone,
telecom,
telecommunications, and
telematics, etc.

We committed a lot of time and energy to loading in data for what could be considered a “wiki” - based on Asana’s keyword search capability - and with Advanced Search, the ability to find things “buried” in Descriptions, Conversations, etc. Didn’t even dawn on me to test something so simple - but low and behold - a search for “tele” returns nothing. Even more maddening is that typing “tele” in the basic search box returns SOME items, but not all, and only where the string “tele” appears in the task name itself.

This is functionality that exists in the most basic of programs - why not here??

5 Likes

+1, an elastic search esk feature here would be much appreciated!

4 Likes

Amen! Need this desperately!

1 Like

With over 1000 projects it is almost impossible to find anything wothout a good search function. In my opinion the lack of a good search function even is a good reason to look for an alternative because the tool thereby loses half its usefulness.

4 Likes

Any reaction from ASANA team?
It is not a solution to ignore it… give us at least some feedback, please.

4 Likes

Let’s see if we can trick the AI bot into this topic :wink:
We want/need indexed wildcard search!

:wink:

Edwin

4 Likes

Agree - wildcard search is critical and such a basic function.

3 Likes

I had the exact same issue about 2 years ago. I was told it was a bug and the Advanced Search box should do a substring search (it also says “contains the words” in the box to remind you) but it doesn’t do that 2 years later. Even worse, when it returns no results the page says “use a less specific search” but of course you can’t do that. Either way, I agree, there still needs to be a way to use eg wildcards or quotes to specify non-exact or exact search to change the default behavior.

2 Likes

HELLO ASANA! Can we not get some kind of response on this? Is Asana not based upon a database? On AWS? This is child’s play for any database of any kind - why won’t you either fix the bug (as Marty mentioned above) or add true search abilities? Again - we’re talking about functionality that exists in nearly any type of product nowadays . . .

3 Likes

I Think they can’t FIND the topic :wink:

In June we will hit the 3 year mark for a feature request for basic search features. A company that sells an application to manage information should respond to User’s requests to improve search!

Paying customers are wondering why it is taking so long. We wonder if the company cares.

Why can we not search on substrings? Users intimately know this limitation and it is very frustrating.

The situation is this. Users put information into the Asana database yet we cannot find the information later through substring search. This is a serious flaw in Asana. The paying Users would be grateful if this problem was addressed in 2020.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Not having double quote multiple word search capability generates too many matches, bogging down efficiency in Asana on a daily basis. Love the tool but need this basic feature.

1 Like

Wow I am truly surprised there has been no official response to the varied search related requests posted here. As of today I am finding that text in the Description field is not being searched only text found in the task/project name itself. As our organization’s tasks and project continue to grow this is becoming a major productivity issue, which is the very reason we began using this platform for productivity gains not losses. C’mon Asana what say you on this?

1 Like

I was advicing our CEO to start using Asana, but missing wildcards in search is really crucial for us. Please add it…for your own good :wink:

2 Likes

This program is excellent. But no wildcard searches? This has been so difficult to manage. This is like 1960’s level programming.

If you can at least comment on why this is not possible, it may alleviate some of the issue and help find a work around.

2 Likes

FYI, we have made a workaround because this is crucial for us too
We sync asana to Google sheets/docs to have a full text search with “” and also a (sort) of wildcard search
Also possible to sync with Evernote, Office online and/or other system and then use a ( indexed) search system

It’s not ideal but it’s a atart

1 Like