Permit multi-select remove from project even if only one project

There’s no “X” beside the project name in the multi-select > projects popup if tasks are only in a single project like this one:

That means that when you use multi-select there’s no way to remove the task from that project, which I might want to do for various reasons (e.g., maybe because I only want it in My Tasks now).

If I single-select any of the tasks, there’s no such limitation in Task Details–the “X” is present:

Why is multi-select preventing me from doing something efficiently that I can do inefficiently (one-by-one) in Task Details?

Mutli-select includes the “X” for tasks multi-homed to multiple projects; it seems to only remove in the case of single project membership.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

For me it is a bug, someone must have messed up the condition for the appearance of that cross :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @lpb and thanks for the report.

I’ve a feeling this is intended, but let me check in with the team to find out more!

1 Like

Hi @lpb,

I have more information from our development team:

• You can change the tasks to be in a different project by clicking the pencil icon and replacing the current project with a different one.
  • It’s expected that you can’t bulk remove from all projects (so you can’t accidentally orphan a lot of tasks all at once)

Thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate it and we’ll make sure to add any updates here!

1 Like

Thanks @Emily_Roman. I voted for this because I think you should use a confirm dialog for it, not remove the feature. @Bastien_Siebman, you should vote too since you seemed to agree!

Thanks,

Larry

5 Likes

I got stuck with a client on this. The use case was: 20 subtasks were being made part of a project by mistake. He wanted to remove the task (subtasks :stuck_out_tongue: ) from the project :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It would be useful to be able to remove multiple tasks from a project rather than do it one by one. There is only option to move multiple tasks to another project but not to remove it from a project entirely.

Hi @Joanna_Yiptatchung
Welcome to the Asana Community Forum!
Please read this guide Task actions: create, move, duplicate, and more | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Hi, i know how to multi-select! what I’d like to do is to remove the project from multiple tasks in one go rather than one by one.

Hi @Joanna_Yiptatchung, you can also achieve this with the multi-select feature! See gif below:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (3)

Hi it doesn’t work if it is the only project assigned which is what i want to remove. i basically don’t want any projects assigned to them.

Got it, @Joanna_Yiptatchung! I see. what you mean! I’ll rename the thread to make it more specific to that request :slight_smile: thanks for clarifying

@Emily_Roman, This is a duplicate of my:

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks @lpb! I merged this thread with the existing request!

1 Like

In response to another question, I realized there’s a workaround until/if Asana ever implements this:

Here’s a hacky workaround. Create a dummy project, multi-select the tasks, make sure they are assigned to someone, then re-home them to that project. Now delete that project. The tasks remain (but only if they were assigned, otherwise they would have been deleted too).

Larry

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Since the latest update (multiselect task panel), I’m unable to bulk delete projects from tasks where I could do this in the past.
Steps to reproduce:
Multiselect tasks in a project and select “edit project”. You can edit the linked project, but can not detach it from all projects. A delete cross icon next to the edit pencil would fix this.
Browser version:
Latest chrome
Upload screenshots below:

strong text

Happy Friday @Thomas_Rypens and thank you for reaching out!

Thank you for taking time to report this behaviour. I don’t believe this is a Bug but rather the current expected behaviour. Either way I’ve gone ahead and filed a task for the Team and I’ll keep you posted as soon as I get an update from them.

Thank you for your help Thomas! Have a great weekend!

Hi Natalia,
Indeed, but as it was there in the past, it feels “forgotten”. But thanks for pushing this further.

1 Like

Hi @Thomas_Rypens :wave:t3: Just a quick word to let you know our team has acknowledged this issue and is planning to take a look into it. Please note that this might not be prioritised straight away but that we will keep you posted here as soon as we’ve an update! Thanks again for your help and patience, we really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Hi @Marie ,

Any update on this? I have tons of tasks that I need to detach from a project (projects are our meeting agenda’s and tasks get distributed to the people when they become actionable and detached from the meeting agenda once distributed).
This is really messing up my workflow. As this was a feature before, can this just be added again?
If 1 project can be detached from all projects, why can’t multiple projects be detached from all projects? This does not make sense.