Computed Fields on Tasks

+1 for computed fields

+1 - Asana is great but this is pretty fundamental, appreciate it might be a tricky retrospective piece of dev but absolutely crucial especially if Monday & others already do it.

+1. ability to apply custom formulas is a critical functionality to have

1 Like

+1

+1. Our team is trying do WSJF prioritization, and without this we will do the calculation manually or export to excel and manually copy the results.
PLEASE!!

The Analytics & Reports add-on for Asana can perform calculations based on Asana custom fields. We have a specific chart called Table chart, which allows you to combine data from any number of Asana projects, and make calculations on any of the custom fields on those projects. You can learn more from this blog post .

calculated

See the whole product Tour. We have 21 days free trial, so you can give it a try.

@SamiLinnanvuo it doesnā€™t sync back to Asana, does it?

Thatā€™s correct, it doesnā€™t write anything to your boards. You can create reports containing calculated fields, and view them on our web app, or schedule them to be sent via email.

Hi!

Iā€™m interested in your custom field addition solution for asana. Can you explain more details and pass values?

Of course Marlos can you email me at bastien@ido-clarity.com? Weā€™ll discuss your case!

Any feedback about computed fields after 2019 - 2023? I cant understand why asana take so much time for so important point and general point like this.
We are in 2023 and is there any official feedback about that function?

:rofl: thatā€™s the most amazing argument I have seen on this forum. Trolling aside, yes Asana does not have this feature, I hope this is coming and it feels like a natural next step. Believe it or not, millions of us are using Asana every day with great success without it, sometimes using workarounds (I developed the feature myself, waiting for the official one).

With that mindset you will destroy every good product. You can read here a lot of frustrated users. And yes, other products like monday support that fields a long time ago already and the users loving it.

Now you say: ā€œBelieve it or not, millions of us are using Asana every day with great success without itā€ Sorry. You know all people love to work how they work with asana? I dont know and i think you also do not know if they like the current workflow with excel and thirdparty solution to complete simple task with csv files. :frowning:

And i think a lot of people will switch their workflow if they have the computed fields. But they cant, so they have no other opportunity to decide. They stand with the back to the wall and nobody will migrate the project management tool from A to B. Most of all users will say: okay, i will try to find workflow and keep asanaā€¦ But this is not the best solution, this is just to say: okay, i have no other idea/chance.

If you worked with monday for example, you never will do workflows and export/import for computed fields. If you switch from monday to asana, you will feel like to switch 7 years back in history. A lot of functions are missing. Sure, not all people need it. But dont say: its no problem and a lot users love to work in asana. Sure, thats true, but the other side is also true.

1 Like

Hi everyone, Thank you for spending time to give us feedback. We are excited to share that we recently released a new custom field, ā€˜Formulaā€™! Users can use these formulas to manage numerical data efficiently. We also plan to launch additional functionalities soon :partying_face:

For more details, please take a look at this: Introducing Formula Custom Fields!

6 Likes

I really wanted computed fields for doing a RICE score, and was super excited about this announcement. Unfortunately with the way itā€™s implemented, only being able to computer two fields, this is not possible as this required computing 4 fields.

Iā€™m glad this is moving in the right direction, but I hope that this gets fleshed out a bit more and gets to the point that it can implement these fairly typical scenarios.

3 Likes

Also if your Rice is based on a dropdown, I am not even sure this is will ever be taken into account in the formula because it basically requires a map between options and number valueā€¦

Thanks so much. Very glad that asana developers heard user s request finally. Thanks and surely this will be the biggest leap in the way this app is developingā€¦Thanks again

1 Like

Hi everyone! We just launched a new Advanced Editor that allows you to create more complex Formulas in your projects. See more details and a demo from @Richard_Sather in this post:

4 Likes