Advanced filters - I want to be able to sort tasks by creator

We are using Asana in a manufacturing environment.
All our projects are set up to capture tasks for different areas or departments such as: Safety, Quality, Maintenance, Improvement ideas…
We would like to be able to see how many tasks have been raised per user or team in these areas like: “Improvement ideas, or hazards”. At the moment you can only filter by assignee. It would be very useful for us if you could also do it by task creator

HI @Christian_Villanueva and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us, and very importantly for telling us why and how this would be useful to you and your team. Hopefully this is something we can implement in the future; I’ll make sure to keep you posted here as soon as I have an update on my end!

2 Likes

It would definitely be useful. However, Asana currently allows sorting only by certain fields and task creator is not one of them.

There is a workaround…you could create a custom field with a drop-down for each creator. In the Spreadsheet/List view, this is easily sorted (and use of a dropdown means the data stays clean).
Then somebody has to periodically go in and make sure the custom field is updated. To assist with this task, if you have access to Advanced Search, you can search for all tasks of interest where the custom field dropdown “has no value” and then update just those. At some team sizes, this may be tolerable.

1 Like

Thanks Stephanie_Orberg I did think of that but It would create a lot of work for me. I will wait until the option of filtering by creator just like you can do by assignee is available (hopefully very soon!)

1 Like

I don’t see a creator field. Was this a custom field you created?

Well, the field Created By is now present in Advanced Search. I wonder how long it’s been there?

Thanks Stephanie - i see that too.
To be honest though, I’m not particularly bothered by the reporting - I’m really looking for a way that each ticket can identify the creator.

The main use case for this feature is that, if a developer has a question about the ticket, he/she doesn’t necessarily know who to ask. If the ticket identified who raised the issue, the developer can go straight to the correct person.

1 Like

Just wanted to jump on here and clarify that a sort or filter by task creator would be very helpful. We are a tech company and use Asana to manage our sprints, backlog, and projects. The search being able to show me all of the tasks I have created is great but it isn’t a replacement for being inside a large project and being able to find tasks that I have created quickly within the confines of that project and without having to leave that “environment”.

2 Likes

@Christian_Villanueva we have been having the same trouble! This would be an amazing additional feature/filter inside of a particular project.

This is possible now via Metadata fields: Using Asana List Layout | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide
„Created By“

1 Like