Workload: Tasks in multiple projects effecting capacity

We have one task live in multiple projects so that it can be managed in different ways based on the department/discipline that is working on it. Normally, this works great! However, when we added all the projects into a Portfolio to better understand our team’s bandwidth, we noticed that tasks that belong to multiple projects are being counted twice against capacity.

For example, I have a video edit task in the overarching project where I (as PM) manage the project. I also have that task living in a project for my video team to manage via Board view as the video moves through each phase of production/post-production. When I kickoff the task for the editor, I include hours (let’s say 20 as an example) so that we can measure bandwidth.

In Workload, this task is displayed under the editor’s bandwidth twice—one for each project—totaling 40 hours of effort scheduled for the editor when there’s actually only 20 hours…

Am I missing something? Are we using something incorrectly? Does anyone have a workaround or alternative solution for this? I’d love to hear any help or advice as this is a BIG deal for our company.

It’s worth noting that we do not always have a task live in multiple projects—sometimes it’s just one. Also, we have a similar process for other departments/disciplines.

I don’t think you are doing something wrong, this is either an intentional behavior or a bug. Maybe @Marie can share insights!

Hi @olson.dan and thanks for the mention @Bastien_Siebman,

@Natalia filed a task for our team to investigate this last Friday, and we just got a reply from our team. Although the task is listed twice in Workload, it should only count once (see screenshot below:

@olson.dan If you think you’re experiencing something different, could you please share some screenshots to illustrate the issue?

Have both a great Monday!

@Bastien_Siebman & @Marie, thank you so much for your willingness to help! I also sent a request to the Asana Support team as I wondered if maybe it was a bug. They responded quickly and asked that I do the same thing you suggested (take a screenshot), but I couldn’t replicate the issue! It must have been a bug we experienced because several members of my team had the same issue, but now it’s gone!

Thanks again for the help. I guess we can consider this case solved. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries at all, and thanks for keeping us posted @olson.dan :slight_smile: