Workload - Implement an option to automatically include ALL Team Projects

I agree that we REALLY need “smart portfolios.” Here are some reasons I would love this feature:

• Save steps in the intake process to add each project to multiple portfolios.
  • Ensure that no project is missed due to human error (we use our ‘ALL’ portfolio, which is updated manually, for our weekly meeting; if something isn’t in the portfolio, we’ll miss it.)
  • Allow us to look back on past projects for a particular year/partner by making a portfolio at any time that will collect all projects containing a certain search term or tag, without having to track down dozens of projects.
  • Allow us to generate many more specific portfolios instead of just the ones we have time to create.

Surely this can become automatic. :slight_smile:

Bonus requests:

• It would be great if the dropdown menu, for adding projects, would exclude projects already in the portfolio.
  • I also wish I could add to portfolio from the project view, rather than having to exit and open a portfolio.
5 Likes

100% agree!

At MINIMUM we need the ability to have a portfolio that defaults to ALL PROJECTS, and every project created is auto-included.

To make Asana most functional, we also need SMART portfolios, where I can create one based on any field or custom field… i.e. a SOCIAL MEDIA CALENDAR portfolio that is smart, to include all projects with TYPE = SOCIAL. Or an trade shows & events calendar portfolio that auto-adds any project with TYPE = EVENTS.

This is a massive shortcoming. As we’re evaluating moving to Asana from a competitor, this his my hang-up that’s keeping me from being confident in making the switch.

4 Likes

Yes! This would be a really useful feature that would allow me to have a more “overview” look at everything without having to manually add it each time.

I like it!

I agree! We need portfolios to see team capacity but have to manually add each project right now.

We need this too! We have a number of projects that we’re managing through Asana, but as a developer I want to see a complete picture of my workload. Currently when a new project is created by a project manager, I have to add it to my portfolio so I can see that projects tasks on my team members workload. Really need a portfolio that shows all projects by default.

Another vote for this feature! Without it, maintaining the portfolios is becoming a hassle and reduces the effectiveness of the Workload tool.

Adding another BIG vote on this. I just updated another topic I posted a few weeks ago with similar feedback before I read this.

Workloads should be a view on Teams not on a Portfolio (not unless you can create us dynamic/smart Portfolios that contain all projects).

Please give us an update on where the developers are with this feature :pray:

Hi :wave:,

Just released a tool to help you. it is called Global Workload and will add every single project to a portfolio of your choosing :slight_smile: then you can use Workload to get an overview of the entire organization.

https://minimalist-work.com/asana/global-workload

3 Likes

Thanks for developing this! It’s great to add all of our projects, but still wish Asana would integrate this functionality so I don’t have to remember to add each project or use this tool every time I make a new project. Either way, thanks for sharing this!

2 Likes

I created a dedicated thread for this tool Global workload: get the workload of your entire organisation or one team

I would really like to see this as well. It seems like a huge hassle, when my organization is already structured as teams, to have to manually add every new project into the corresponding portfolio.

1 Like

This looks promising! Does this only affect my account, or will everyone in my organization see the global portfolio?

It depends on the portfolio setup, my tool only put projects inside the portfolio.

So as long as people can already see that portfolio, they’ll see all the projects that your tool adds to it?

Not quite correct, they only see the projects they are allowed to see. The tools does not change the permissions, only save you from dozens of clicks…

1 Like

Another vote for this. Chasing down new projects is crazy. They need to be automatically added to a global portfolio. Thanks!

1 Like

Another big upvote on this. Smart portfolios and/or let us use Workloads across Teams.

1 Like

I’ve just come back here and found this post after a frustrating day of trying to ensure all my portfolios have the correct projects in them. I had to open 2 browsers side-by-side and compare the unsorted list of projects under the Teams, with the name-sorted list in Portfolios.
Why? Because the Add Work feature of Portfolios is clumsy and I need to print a sorted list of projects for a meeting. I really don’t understand why Asana makes Portfolio’s a manual grouping of projects anyway. Surely we all want to see projects under Teams but you also can’t report Workload on a Team, only a Portfolio. Who on earth made that design decision and why?

I look forward to testing out the tool mentioned here.

1 Like

+1 to Smart Portfolios. We’re adding new projects for clients all the time and we just need to be able to see high level by default without having to micro manage it.

Why is this not a feature… or is it in Feb 2024? This is an older thread, but was the first hit in Asana’s community search.