Why personal projects can not use tags?

I really need tags to manage my personal projects .

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Personal Projects are set up uniquely on the backend in a way that doesnā€™t allow for tags since tags are universal.

If you need additional structure for your projects or tasks such as dashboards or tags, Iā€™d recommend building this out in your Organization or in a separate Workspace to use that functionality.

4 Likes

Are you saying we can add tags at the project level, but only for projects in the primary org?

How can I add tags to a project?

I would like to join maomaoliang - this is a very painful product gap. I abandoned Asana because of this. Now Iā€™m trying again, but if this is not added, I donā€™t think I can use it.

4 Likes

Remember that you can just make a new workspace with your personal email address, which basically becomes a fully functional Personal Projects workspace with a different name. So thereā€™s no reason to leave Asana over this, since the functionality is there but just in a different place.

1 Like

Thanks Craig_Fifer - itā€™s true, but for some reason I do have advanced search in my work and personal spaces, but not in a new ā€˜customā€™ space Iā€™m creating. I heavily rely on advanced search, so thatā€™s unfortunately not a solution for me.

oook, so is there a way to simply move the project from one space to another to start using those features?

Advanced search is a Premium feature. If your work organization is Premium, maybe your Personal Projects gets Advanced Search, too. Iā€™m not sure, because I removed myself from Personal Project when I created my personal workspace, and now Iā€™m not sure I can get back to it.

You can use https://asana.kothar.net/ to move projects between organizations and workspaces. All the tasks you want to move must be in projects (not ā€œlooseā€ in My Tasks with no project).

You can also (ab)use Projects as Tags.

Iā€™m using the free version of Asana, and just like @Luca_Simon I need the Advanced Search.
The ā€œPersonal Projectsā€ workspace allows for Advanced Search, and does not allow Tags; for the other workspaces itā€™s vice versa.

Iā€™ve created Projects to serve as regular projects, and extra Projects to serve as tags. So every task can have both a ā€˜projectā€™-project and a ā€˜tagā€™-project (or more, of course). All my tag-projects have a blue highlight-colour to easily recognise them as tags.

4 Likes