Why move to the bottom of Today and the top of Upcoming?

Hi Asana team,

I found an interesting behavior of Asana prioritization (moving tasks to Today or Upcoming sections), so I’m reporting this thing. It’s not urgent at all and the priority is very low.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have some existing tasks in Today and Upcoming sections
  2. Press Tab+U or use the selector to move task(s) to Upcoming from other sections - the task is added at the beginning of the Upcoming section
  3. Press Tab+Y or use the selector to move task(s) to Today from other sections - the task is added at the end of the Today section

I’d like to know:

I’m just wondering why the behavior is like this.

Isn’t it more intuitive if we always put the incoming tasks at the beginning of the priority sections?

If this is purposefully designed this way, I’m curious and I’d like to know the thoughts behind this decision. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @ShunS :wave:and thank you for reaching out!

That is a great question! I have tried this on my end and I’m having the same result as you.

To be completely honest, I don’t know the exactly reason behind this behaviour but let me find out more and I’ll come back to you!

I hope you have a great Wednesday! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, it does enable all newly-moved tasks (and also auto-promted tasks, I believe), to be grouped near each other, even though in separate Today and Upcoming sections. That’s certainly useful for auto-task promotions where one need only focus on one part of My Task to see the new updates there.

Larry

2 Likes

Hi @Natalia, thank you for checking this and moving my post to the appropriate category :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to hearing the updates.
I hope you have a nice day, too!

Hi @lpb, thank you for sharing your thoughts! Indeed, I wasn’t thinking about the auto-promotion of the tasks. It’s great to have a natural reasoning for my wonders :smiley:

2 Likes