Why keep orphaned tasks when deleting a project?

I read that tasks assigned to people are NOT deleted when the project is deleted. I’m not sure why that’s useful? Most of our projects come from templates, with pre-assigned tasks, so when we delete them we want all those tasks to disappear too. But they don’t - they stay in the assigned person’s list but without any clue which project it was. They are effectively useless at that point. There’s no mention of the original project visible.

Worse, I have no idea who to contact to help them fix this. Can we have an option popup to delete tasks when deleting a project?

Some users create tasks that make a lot of sense even when freestanding - not needing project context. The project assignment(s) may not have been meaningful association(s), either…in Asana you must assign a task to a project simply to be able to view it from a project. In this scenario, for project deletion to also cause deletion of tasks that may have been assigned to it would not be desirable.

If I were you, I’d use the workaround of bulk unassigning (50 at a time) tasks before deleting a project.

1 Like

Hi @James_Shaw and welcome to the Forum! :wave:

That is correct. At the moment, Tasks assigned or multihomed in other Projects won’t be deleted. You can learn more about it in the following article: https://asana.com/guide/help/projects/actions

As @Stephanie_Oberg mentioned, what you could do is multiselect these task and delete them before deleting the Project.

I hope this helps! Have a great day! :grinning:

1 Like

I agree with you James - this configuration doesn’t make much sense to me.

1 Like