Why does Asana allow duplicate Project titles?

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Asana allows multiple projects to be created with the same title on the same team. This leads to duplicate projects and tasks not being centralized in the correct project but rather spread out over the duplicate projects.
Steps to reproduce:
Create two projects in the same team with the same name.

It is a little bit unusual and can get very tricky across teams, Advanced Searches etc. I usually recommend some type of prefix is used to distinguish. My duplicates are normally between teams and every project within a Team allows me to know what team it belongs to. For instance two Teams Accounting Department, Marketing Department both having a project called Uploaded Documents: ACTY| Uploaded Documents MRKT| Uploaded Documents. By the way | is an unrecognized special character in Asana which will be converted to a dash in Project Names. I just like the looks of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! The problem is that people are creating duplicate projects within the same team, not across teams. If it was across teams that would be slightly easier and we could use the prefix but the duplicate projects in the same team are a mistake as opposed to necessary.

Sounds like you are going to have to create consequences for bad behavior :grinning:. It is rudimentary but you could try an Advanced Search periodically something like this and sort by Project.

1 Like

Same issue with Tasks. I can’t say why Asana allows it, but it can clearly cause issues. Especially if users aren’t aware.

As @James_Carl is saying user awareness and organizational policy on how to name items in Asana are your best options at this time.

What would be a nice help from Asana is if the same autocompletion list of Project and Task names you get when you @ mention in comments was also provided when naming Tasks and Projects so users get an awareness of what already exists and can use it as a tool to create a unique name.

2 Likes

I agree. Members in my organization definitely just need to be more aware of the projects they’re creating and confirm they’re not duplicating. It would just be nice to have more safeguards in place.

1 Like