When task finished, reassign task to B to deliver

Hello! I have a basic task organization that works the same for every task:

1. Person A assigns B, C or D a task with a template.
  2. When BCD finishes the task, they mark the task as finished.
  3. I want to automatically reassign the current task to A, so they can have it as a task to deliver it.

I have 2 possible ways to do this:

1. Create a rule that reassigns task to A, and mark the task as “unfinished” again, so they can deliver it, but the problem is that when A marks as finished, due to this first rule, it marks itself as unfinished always. Creating a rule stating “If A marks finished, then keep as finished” doesn’t work.

2. Create a subtask with A to deliver, and make it blocked until BCD mark the main task as finished. The issue with this is that I cannot create a template that always creates a subtask with this information (Deliver, assign to A, and make it dependable to main task) which takes a tedious amount of time.

What other options do I have?

Hey @Victor_Da_Silva

I am thinking custom fields could help here.
Like to give you an example we have an Asana project set up that involves all steps from video creation, to optimization, thumbnail creation, uploading to YT and setting titles, description, final check, etc

How we handle a lot is with custom fields.

Like “added to xx doc”, “thumbnail created” with dropdowns.

Then when the task is initially created from a template the person fills out some fields which are required as information for the next person. Then the task is assigned and from then on the people when they are done with their step update the relevant custom field and the task gets pushed to the next section/stage and reassigned to the relevant person.

The task gets only closed once it has reached the final stage and all is completed.

And even then the last rule would be that when a task is marked as complete but some custom fields are not updated it will be reopened and reassigned to the coordinator for example.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the idea, but the problem is that I already have around 50 projects opened. I would have to duplicate the rules throughout all the projects.

Hm I see,

how about telling B,C, D to not mark the task complete but to always reassign it back to A when done?

Or the other faster option might be that once a task is marked complete one rule triggers the task being added to another project that person A handles where they can then have one rule that all tasks being added here and then person A can continue with whatever they have to work on?

Or the existing way that you explained could also work if you edit the rule slightly. Let’s say you add another condition so the 2nd rule does not trigger the other one.
Screenshot_6969

And maybe check the settings of your rules, whether you allow one rule to trigger another or not.

Based on your initial message I was under the impression no rules have been set up yet so I assumed some manual work would be required anyway. But yeah 50 projects that might be a bit of work. If the projects are similar in the future I definitely recommend setting up a template project that you can then easily duplicate/use for others

I also recommend upvoting here: Global Rules would rule! Create a library for Rules

The problem with No. 1 Is that I would have to duplicate the rule several times for each project. In the sense that

If Finished+by person B=Reassign+Not finished
If Finished+by person C…
If Finished+by person D…
Etc.

Then only when both rules happen at the same time, then mark as “When all triggers happen”.
It would be overly complicated.

The second idea for the setting of triggering doesn’t work either, because the issue is the original rule itself, and not from other rules.

I hope I’m explaining myself correctly.

So just to understand correctly, the original rule you have currently set up on all 50 projects is that when a task is marked complete it is reassigned to A?
Are the tasks in different stages/sections when B,C,D deliver them? Meaning not in the same stage as initially when assigned by A?

Right now I don’t have any rule assigned to any. I’m testing rules for future projects, so I don’t have to do this all over again. However, I would manually apply the rule to all existing if needed because I think it would save us a lot of time. They are only in one/two stages. To do, finalized, and delivered.

That’s all.

Okay I see so yeah if no rule is there at the moment then I do believe some manual work will anyway be needed.

So yes your suggestion to test various rules first and then see what works best is a good way to move forward with.

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.