When a task is made a subtask, it clears out current project associations

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
When I make a task a subtask of another, it clears any projects the task was originally associated with.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a task (“Task A”) associated with a particular project
  2. Now edit that task (“Task A”) so it becomes a subtask of another task (“Task B”)
  3. That original task (“Task A”) has been removed all projects it was originally associated with

Browser version:
Applies to all browsers

Upload screenshots below:
N/A

Hi there,

Unfortunately I don’t think this a bug, but rather what they call “expected behavior.” When a task is demoted to a subtask it then behaves as if it’s only ever been a subtask. Since it’s nested inside the parent task (Task B) which is part of a project, the subtask will tag along with the parent task and still appear within that project, but it won’t carry the same weight and is no longer itself technically “part of the project.” If (Parent Task B) is not associated with all of the same projects (Parent Task A) once was, the subtask will no longer appear in any additional projects.

Subtasks are a bit tricky in that they are sort of quasi-tasks that have some privileges but not others. For instance they don’t appear in timeline or calendar views, they don’t trigger rules, they won’t appear in search results unless you specifically include subtasks, (among other limitations.)

If you happen to be a newer user I know this is super weird and confusing, and there are MANY forum topics about the behavior of Subtasks. We are all REALLY hoping they gain better visibility sometime in the near future. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.