Desktop Asana app

@Alexis Iā€™ve noticed that you have been so quick in your response to some of these issues users face with this program. :slightly_smiling_face: Is there any status on this particular issue? I think it would solve the lack of notification/updates to our team and would make it easier to use overall. My team is missing important files and comments because of the lack of clear robust notifications.

1 Like

I have run Asana with Fluid for a few years on my Mac, as of today it hangs at the loading screenā€¦ any ideas? TIA

2 Likes

Hi Lauren! Iā€™m not able to provide an update on this feature request at this time. For more information on how we engage with Community requests, take a look at this thread:

6 Likes

Trello just announced NATIVE apps for Windows and Mac. Not sure if they have been there before and just updated them, but this is something that is lacking from asana.

We LOVE the workflows, but getting people to use a browser app is hard to do. Plus the web app utilities that people have talked about are great but they do not give you the native notifications, or native hooks into the OS.

I would HIGHLY recommend this be done in the next few months if possible!

6 Likes

There are some decent workarounds like Nativfier on Mac OS that works really wellā€¦

I agree with @Bastien_Siebman, nativefier is a great solution to make that native app yourself. @Todd_Cavanaugh wrote a great tutorial on how to do it here:

Iā€™m just wondering why nobody is offering the nativefied version hereā€¦ So Iā€™ll just do that now:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByTO3RP9DQI0OVRZalY3c1ZSdXM?usp=sharing
In there you will find the App for Windows and MacOS
It looks like this:

I will add the linux version in the evening :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Johannes_Deml I think youā€™re missing links:

1 Like

@Todd_Cavanaugh Thanks! I actually noticed that as well, but I didnā€™t find the edit button (and still donā€™t know where it is).

1 Like

My only concern about a native mac app is that a lot of Asana addon integrations rely on a google chrome extensions. so for time tracking using something like everhour only works in chrome with the their extension. in a mac native or even fluid, this wouldnā€™t work.
Iā€™d love for Asana to have these integrations built-in to it somehow like how they have harvest built-in but thats a whole new ball game

3 Likes

I thinks this should be a priority. Just migrated from Trello to Asana and the native app from trello is the only thing we miss. It is really useful to have a native app.

3 Likes

THIS IS AWESOME!!! Thank you so much Todd!!

2 Likes

Seriouslyā€¦how is this not a thing yet? All the developers that work to build asana are likely working on a Macā€¦thus I would think this drives them crazy.

ā€œscratch your own itchā€, right? The lack of a native app is a huge productivity & adoption killer. My whole team hangs out in Slack bc there are notifications thereā€¦The problem? Slack isnā€™t where we get stuff done. Asana is.

Asana native app + notifications + offline mode = My teamā€™s productivity goes way up + Iā€™m never cancelling Asana for my whole life :wink:

Please build this. Itā€™s way past due.

P.S. I use a fluid app but it just doesnā€™t cut it. So buggy.

6 Likes

Amen to that. Exactly our issue. No matter how many times I say ā€˜donā€™t task
in slackā€™ people still do. The slack/asana connector also is incredibly
manual so thereā€™s no way quickly/easily set up channel notifications on the
fly.

Noel Howell

1 Like

I recently had the same difficulty with fluid and chrome extensions. I did some searching and found Epichrome which is conceptually the same as fluid. However, it operates more as an isolated chrome environment which does allow extensions to be added. I was able to integrate it with everhour and have been really happy with it so far.

1 Like

Here goes nothingā€¦ epichrome in use. That was WAY easier than fluid. No
need to set up weird exceptions to allow for google auth. Iā€™m logged in!

Iā€™ll post if I find any other modifications/quirks.

Noel Howell

Thanks Greg, Epichrome worked great! I had tried Fluid and Applicationize and Native Fier and all of them could not get me past the Google Oauth signin process (blank window or Google window that just spins). Epichrome got me signed in with Google right away and is working great. Thanks!

FYI: this does NOT mean I donā€™t want a native app. Even with Epichrome, this does not solve Notifications and Offline capabilities.

1 Like

In an environment where we have Slack, Evernote, Text editors, Calendar, Mail app, all of these are native apps, out of these, the only one you need all day thatā€™s still not an app is Asana. You can Cmd+Tab and be very fast in moving between apps, except when it comes to Asana, which is the most important app for me during the day.

Even a notification panel plugin would help a lot. Two fingers swipe and you know your next task or add a new task, but going to a browser tab every single time takes you out of your focus cycle and makes Asana less appealing as a product.

5 Likes

i really prefer a native app as wellā€¦
donā€™t like those web interfaces - even not those on ios.
the problem is that you always need an internet connection for running and using.
but as an architect i am standing in concrete cellars on construction sites infront of big problems and lots of issues i wanna notice immediately without any connection to the it world. . )
and the app is completely useless.
even on my macbook i wanna use an app wich has saved all things local and syncs when a connection is established. unless this isnā€™t solved, asana is not professional enough for my work in real analog life, though it is the best organising app iā€™ve ever usedā€¦

meanwhile i need a different to do app wich i am synching with asana. this is hopefully not the intention of the asana teamā€¦

3 Likes

The asana mobile app does work offline (to some extent). That might be your
ā€˜basementā€™ solution. But I agree with you about the web interfaces!!

(and also for android too ā€“ Getting Started with the Asana Android App | Product guide ā€¢ Asana Product Guide)

I really think a native app for Mac is necessary. Actually I find it very odd that a company like Asana with the tons of users they have hasnā€™t already developed one. Working on an online/webpage is actually uncomfortable not to mention the user experience because of the responsiveness. Features like offline access / work are so important for anyone who seriously uses this app.

Please develop a native app for mac.

5 Likes