What Key to push to create a task?

Hey guys,

I know there’s no such thing as a stupid question, but can’t stop feeling this could be the exception to the rule lol

Anyway, here it is:

When I finish typing in the name of a new task, what key should I press to actually create the task and exit the name field?

Intuitively, after I type in the name of the new task, I would press Enter (or Return) to create it, but that creates a new task.
What I end up doing now it trying to click somewhere in the background to have the task created, but I’m sure there must be a better way!

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Hi Eric,

If you press Tab, you exit the field without exiting the task you just created.

Cheers,

1 Like

Hi @Ju2,

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried Tab. It does exit the Task Name Field and doesn’t create a new task. But it moves cursor to the next editable field. In list view, it moves it to the assignee field; in board view, it moves it to the comment field.

Is there any key you can push to assign the name, and finish the task creation, but leave the task selected (rather than moving the selection to the next editable field)?

Thank you very much for taking the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Eric5, I think you want to be pressing Esc. You’ll still be focused on the task but you won’t be editing the task name field or any other fields.

5 Likes

Yup @BenCro! That made the trick :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for taking the time to solve my existential dilemma. :stuck_out_tongue:

Best regards

2 Likes

No worries @Eric5!

Side note, there’s a cheatsheet for keyboard shortcuts at https://asana.com/guide/help/faq/shortcuts, this use for Esc isn’t actually listed there but you might find it useful in the future anyway :slight_smile:

@Marie - It might be worth adding this use of Esc to the cheatsheet?

4 Likes

Yes @BenCro, I’ve just made a task for the team that looks after this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @BenCro
Actually, after some use, the Esc key will work for this on the Task level, but it won’t work well on the subtask level.
If you’re creating a subtask, and you hit Esc, you will exit the task you’re working on, back to the main list view.

Could it be that there’s actually no key to create a task? @Marie?

1 Like