Visibility of all Recurring tasks

I signed up yesterday and went to add in recurring tasks and have just spent a bucket load of time trying to work out how to do it to discover you can’t. I looked at several different options and chose asana as it seemed to be the better option, but to discover you can’t have basic recurring daily tasks and see them all in calendar view is so odd for a task management software. Would love asana to include this feature as it seems like a great software otherwise. But I’m doubting it’ll happen as it appears to have been 7+yrs waiting for it from what I can see in the forums. Feel I’ll need to choose something else unfortunately

4 Likes

This is ridiculous! People have been asking about this feature since March 2017!! For 6 years you’ve been ‘talking’ with your team with no results.

7 Likes

Hi, any updates?
Just joined Asana because of Calendar option, to find out it has this serious limitation. Could we have a real update and an ETA for this implementation?
Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome, @Paloma_Pereira,

Threads are updated when there’s any new, relevant information to share. Note that Asana typically does not publish a roadmap or comment on unreleased features.

Thanks,

Larry

Just voicing the importance of having recurring tasks show up in calendar view into the future. We use a calendar view often and we plan months (sometimes a year) into the future as a team. We have multiple monthly repeating tasks, it’s a real pain to have to manually enter them for the entire year.
I see @lpb 's note that Asana doesn’t comment on unreleased features, but this is a pretty basic feature, am I just overlooking something? Is there a work around to be able to put a year’s worth of recurring tasks in?

Our firm uses Asana to track people’s availabilty for assignments. There’s a good deal of meetings/admin time that is recurring and it seems wrong that there’s a built in “recurring” option to create a task but it won’t populate the calendar until the current task is done. Some of these things are daily…

1 Like

There’s this free tool:

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Hello, I just want to say how happy I am I have tested the free version before buying :). Lack of this feature disqualifies Asana as a tool. I have wasted a couple of hours testing begore realizing the lack of a basic function but hey now I will be able to tell all my friends not to buy your product :slight_smile: Regards :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’d be nice to see all future recurring tasks, but for me the bigger problem is I’m not able to postpond or skip a recurring task when I miss one of them. I also have to mark complete a task I haven’t complete in order for the next one to appear. That just doesn’t make sense, there should always be a rearrangement option, like skipping or postponding a recurring task…because reality don’t always go as planned.

I also looked at how other people switch to creating templates, since I’m dealing with a daily task, that doesn’t fit my needs as well…

Let’s get this feature ASAP.
I have used alternatives but they create a new task for each instance and imply that it’s going to be executed.
What I’m expecting here is that Asana will highlight these as potential tasks and include them in all views + workload. The user can break the recurring cycle at any instance and Asana will reflect that change this will help forecast, plan, and manage bandwidths more effectively.

Def very tricky to implement on the backend but looking forward to it.

2 Likes

This feature is desperately needed. Any update? I don’t understand how a planning calendar doesn’t let you see reoccurring tasks for the month.

2 Likes

Chiming in to request this feature. I don’t hold much hope, given that this thread began in 2017 and it’s now 2024, but I know Asana is developing new features all the time, so maybe? :crossed_fingers:

I’d like this not just in Calendar view, but also in Timeline view for things like a biweekly project meeting. Those check-ins are milestones and all I can think to do in the meantime (i.e., without this feature) is to duplicate the biweekly meeting item 10 times for a 5-month project, which is pretty irritating to have to do manually.

It would be fantastic to have this basic function implemented into Asana. Without the ability to view recurring tasks it is extremely difficult to plan upcoming work. Very disappointed such a simple feature has not been updated.

1 Like

+1

so long of this threat and no structural solution yet? it is extremely unproductive to be setting different tasks… recurrence capability is actually to waive you from doing it manually. why is that not solved yet? what does asana need to have to consider this ask from so many people?

1 Like

I’ve discovered a less (albeit still) tedious solution, which is to toggle to list view, mark the task complete, allow Asana to generate the next iteration of the task and then mark the task incomplete. This isn’t workable for a weekly reoccurring task but if you have monthly tasks this is easier than the Asana provided solution I was able to find. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Any hope in this feature being changed???

Also really need this - dealbreaker

2 Likes

I really need this feature - it doesn’t make any sense not to have it!

I’d like to contribute to this matter too. It’s quite tedious to establish weekly tasks for projects with a systematic timeline or to ensure the team maintains a routine.