View My Subtasks in a Project / Subtask Quickfilter

NEED: To be able to review a simple list of all tasks and subtasks assigned to me in a given project.

SUGGESTION: There should be a quick-filter under the Project > Filter menu that toggles the inclusion of subtasks in filter results.

CONTEXT:

It makes no sense to be ‘menu-diving’ through all tasks and sub-subtasks of a project to review items assigned to me.

Currently, the options available to review my subtasks are less than adequate:

• The Filter function in projects is great. But it only shows tasks. No subtasks.

• I could go to My Tasks, but of course subtasks in My Tasks, somewhat controversially, don’t reference the projects they are in.

• I can create a report that shows all tasks and subtasks assigned to me for a given project. So that works. But for every project I want to review, that means I have to: Refine search > In projects > (search for the project) > Click Search. Or the alternative would be to duplicate my project hierarchy with a bunch of saved reports. Both cumbersome options for what should be basic reporting/review functionality.

Of course, these problems can all be managed with some creative setup and a bit of extra manual admin. We covered some options on another thread in the Tips & Tricks category.

But it seems to me that a subtask quick-filter inside the project filters would be a complete solution to the problem and would meaningfully increase the utility of the nested subtasks functionality.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Allow to sort sub-tasks by complete/incomplete

A vote has been moved.

Hi @Antoine_Palmer and thank you so much for sharing this great feedback with us!

You are correct here. As it stands, is not possible to Filter your Subtasks within a Project. I completely understand how useful it would for you and while I can’t promise when or if this will be implemented any time soon, I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this thread as soon as I have an update!

Have a great Wednesday Antoine!

2 Likes

This would be great for our purposes. We have some custom fields we want for subtasks (tracking time estimates), but since subtasks don’t support custom fields unless they’re added to a project, we’re stuck with an awkward choice:
-either produce tons of noise by adding all subtasks to the project they’re in
-or track hours in the main task, which loses granularity, since subtasks might have different assignees than the parent task.

In a perfect Asana, subtasks could have custom fields w/o needing to add them to a project, and the parent task would automatically sum the numeric values of its subtasks. That’s not how Asana works, though, so being able to toggle subtask visibility seems like the next best option.

1 Like