Using subtasks with the new spreadsheet inspired list view

Great news!

Still hope a future iteration will actually allow the sub-tasks to be showed on the main screen, not just the count

1 Like

@Russ_Friedson you can have subtasks in the main section by associating them directly with the project.

If you can avoid doing this, that would be better. This is very confusing.

I do agree with that, gets quite messy, but it’s only way to see in list / timeline / calendar view for that particular project. In general we tend not use sub tasks too much with the thought being if a particular task needs a bunch
of them that task probably deserves its own section in main project or its own separate project all together.

Exactly, I feel the same 100%.

@Bastien_Siebman, @Ben_Brenner, would you mind creating a new thread to discuss subtasks? I just want to avoid confusing other members reading this announcement. Thank you!

Can you create a spin off as an admin @Marie ?

All done @Bastien_Siebman, thanks!

Years ago I used EccoPro. It allowed for multiple layers of nested tasks, sub-tasks, sub-sub, etc. in an outline format on the main screen. This was very useful because you could expand or contract the number of levels showing easily to “zoom in to details” or “zoom out to bigger picture” without having to change screens or lose context. The inability to do this in Asana is, to me, its biggest shortfall

1 Like

Ah yes! My Catalyst Innovations company was actually the only full-time ECCO add-on developer and consultancy. FYI you might be interested to see Desksana, the Asana Windows/Mac desktop client I have in early development - you might find the design of the main window, um, slightly familiar. :wink:

3 Likes

In case it’s of benefit to new users or those trying to decide when to use subtasks…

@Ben_Brenner and @Bastien_Siebman, I disagree. Whether or not to use subtasks has nothing to do with how many of them you might have but rather how you need to use them.

They’re excellent at providing progressive disclosure – not cluttering the main task list. They’re excellent for breaking down a task’s component parts, or enumerating anything – I use subsections and subtasks instead of Description often because the ease of subheadings, reordering, and marking complete is much better than trying to manipulate such things in the Description. (But I use Description often too in all other cases.) They wrap so you can always see full content no matter how long the subtask text is. And if you need no more than assignment, due date, and complete/incomplete, they’re great. I freely use tasks with dozens of subtasks when appropriate; my projects are shorter and simpler for it.

I would not use subtasks for most everything else (except what I’ve forgotten here! haven’t really vetted the above as covering every desirable use case of subtasks). In other words, except in special circumstances, I’d avoid having to descend into the subtask to see a comment thread or anything else including multi-homing.

A common best practice I recommend with subtasks is to use the task’s comment thread (not the individual subtasks’ comment threads) to discuss the task or any subtasks, using an @reference to the subtask for context. This avoids descending into the subtask but still gain their benefits as outlined above.

On the other topic here, I still have a couple of things Ecco Pro which runs fine in Windows 10–amazing product, especially for its day.

Larry

3 Likes

Nice Larry, thanks, that makes perfect sense!

1 Like

Ouch - todays changes pretty much trashed subheaders - by removing the ability to drag them around or delete them independent of the tasks. I’ve always been able to select a group of tasks and drag them around but now that’s ALL you can do since moving the header takes the tasks with it, and you cant delete the header without deleting the tasks in it. Unannounced - and big #Fail IMHO

Yes, very familiar! I would be great if you could get ASANA to adopt this!!!